Community post

Discussion

Over 40 TTC.... and I KNOW I am not the ONLY one: Part IV

View Full Post

Well, we got to page 16 so I started it over......

here's a recap of my story:
My name is Carolyn... I am 37 (close to 40) and just had my first child this summer but dh and I don't want to wait too long for another because it took us 2 years to have our first and we are getting older..... so we are TTC #2 now!

I have a question for you ladies: my temp dropped today but I have been getting negative opks so far.... only been testing once a day because I am only on cycle day 10 today and usually I O around day 12.... do you think I missed the surge and we should bd anyway today? or should I just wait and see if I get a postive opk in the next few days?

479 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

451 - 460 of 479 Replies | Last Page

did they say why? is this an RE?

User Image

10 years ago

Oh, essemkay! Did they find something wrong? Or was the dr just giving you unwanted info? Sometimes they say stuff like that when they really shouldn't....

We're here for you if you need to talk. If not, I'll just be praying for you.

<<<HUGS>>>

User Image

10 years ago

No, nothing's wrong. This was my RE. I'm just 45 and the odds suck giant hairy monkey balls. But other than being ancient, I'm perfect.

Although, he did say with IVF, my odds were only 2-5%, and I did get pregnant in May.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

10 years ago

I realized I hadn't given an update on all my crap. Sorry.

I did decide to go back for the Cycle Day 3 blood work. Went in Sunday morning to one of the local hospitals and had blood drawn. Then called back Monday and they told me there had been a snafu, and they hadn't taken enough blood or run all the tests they were supposed to. (Rolling my eyes.) So I went back Tuesday to get the rest of the blood taken - 11 vials!

When I called Monday, they did give me the results of the FSH, E2, and LH tests they'd done. She said everything was fine, perfectly normal. They didn't see a problem there. The tests they did Wednesday will take at least 2 days to come back and they won't give me the results over the phone - I have to keep my appointment Monday afternoon with the RE to find out what they say. As far as I know, they're checking my progesterone levels and seeing if I have any immunological problems.

We'll see what they find out. I bought a Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor, but the darn thing came on CD7, and now I can't use it until I start AF around Oct. 26. (According to the directions, you either start it the first 5 days of your period or you have to wait until the next cycle, because it needs to read your hormones from the beginning to be able to figure you out.) I told my dh I'd just set it for CD5 even though I was technically CD7 and go from there, but he was worried it would throw everything off and we'd miss my O day because of it. So I put it away.

I'm just so frustrated. I want to know why I keep miscarrying, and I'm not sure they'll be able to find out. I want to be pregnant again, yet even if I get there, it's no guarantee my baby will be born. And the waiting game has never been my favorite!

User Image

10 years ago

I realized I hadn't given an update on all my crap. Sorry.

I did decide to go back for the Cycle Day 3 blood work. Went in Sunday morning to one of the local hospitals and had blood drawn. Then called back Monday and they told me there had been a snafu, and they hadn't taken enough blood or run all the tests they were supposed to. (Rolling my eyes.) So I went back Tuesday to get the rest of the blood taken - 11 vials!

When I called Monday, they did give me the results of the FSH, E2, and LH tests they'd done. She said everything was fine, perfectly normal. They didn't see a problem there. The tests they did Wednesday will take at least 2 days to come back and they won't give me the results over the phone - I have to keep my appointment Monday afternoon with the RE to find out what they say. As far as I know, they're checking my progesterone levels and seeing if I have any immunological problems.

We'll see what they find out. I bought a Clear Blue Easy Fertility Monitor, but the darn thing came on CD7, and now I can't use it until I start AF around Oct. 26. (According to the directions, you either start it the first 5 days of your period or you have to wait until the next cycle, because it needs to read your hormones from the beginning to be able to figure you out.) I told my dh I'd just set it for CD5 even though I was technically CD7 and go from there, but he was worried it would throw everything off and we'd miss my O day because of it. So I put it away.

I'm just so frustrated. I want to know why I keep miscarrying, and I'm not sure they'll be able to find out. I want to be pregnant again, yet even if I get there, it's no guarantee my baby will be born. And the waiting game has never been my favorite!

User Image

10 years ago

hey ladies,

essemkay - did your doc talk to you about clomid? i just have my natural cycle with the RE and they found (what i knew) that i have a luteal phase issue. as well as being 41 and the odds stacking up against me. for my natural cycle we saw one follicle mature and release an egg. they decided to put me on clomid for this cycle. i ended up with 6 follicles and 4 matured and released eggs, we bd at the right times and i am currently taking progesterone suppositories. now it's hurry up and wait. just wanted to ask if they talked to you about clomid and that it might help up the odds for you as it did for me?

rebecca - my blood work came back like yours for day 3 but it was off when i had it taken for day 21 when they check your prolactin and progesterone... i am wondering if your first part of the cycle is ok and that it's your later part when your progesterone is supposed to be high, high enough to sustain a pregnancy? now if i get pg this cycle i will be staying on the progesterone supps for 10 weeks.... wonder if that's what you need???????

User Image

10 years ago

We're well past the clomid stage. We did that back when I was 41. And did a lot of IUIs. And did injectibles. And did IVF. And got pregnant and had a little girl who is now 2 years old.

On our journey to #2, I've had 2 chemical pregnancys, 2 medicated IUIs, 2 IVFs, one pregnancy that ended when the baby died at 10 weeks, and now this unmedicated IUI.

My doctor said at 25, 1 egg in 10 is bad. But at 45, only 1 egg in 10 is good -- if that. I don't have any trouble really getting pregnant if we find a good egg, and I have no troubles staying pregnant. It's finding the golden egg that's the issue. My doctor theorizes that since I have old eggs that are already fragile and compromised, that perhaps adding the meds is damaging them more - so he proposed trying without meds.

After all the time (we've been married for 21 years, and have spent 14 years of that actively trying to conceive) and money (we have no insurance coverage for fertility, and have spent about $100,000) and heartbreak, my husband is just done. He wants to stop trying and just go on with our lives with our daughter. My doctor feels that without donor eggs or embryos (which my husband absolutely refuses to consider), there's not much hope. He agreed to do 3 natural cycle IUIs, so this is attempt 1 out of those 3.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

10 years ago

oh man, you have been through a lot....

i know what you mean, on one hand, yes you have your beautiful daughter but you have dreams of giving her a sibling...

my naturopath had me on C0Q10, it helps with bettering your egg quality. maybe you want to try taking that these next few cycles... if you need them.

crossing my fingers and toes for you!!!

User Image

10 years ago

Thanks!

I've been taking CoQ10 for just over a month now. :)

10 years ago

amazing, know in your heart you are doing everything you can and life is just going to happen and play out the way it's supposed to...

sorry for the cliche but i think we need to tell ourselves that once in a while...

User Image

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo