Community post

Discussion

Over 40 TTC.... and I KNOW I am not the ONLY one: Part IV

View Full Post

Well, we got to page 16 so I started it over......

here's a recap of my story:
My name is Carolyn... I am 37 (close to 40) and just had my first child this summer but dh and I don't want to wait too long for another because it took us 2 years to have our first and we are getting older..... so we are TTC #2 now!

I have a question for you ladies: my temp dropped today but I have been getting negative opks so far.... only been testing once a day because I am only on cycle day 10 today and usually I O around day 12.... do you think I missed the surge and we should bd anyway today? or should I just wait and see if I get a postive opk in the next few days?

479 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

261 - 270 of 479 Replies | Last Page

Hi everyone. Welcome Buggyboo. Good to hear from you too Montanella and Holly! Fingers crossed for you both, and agree it is so nice when the RE is engaged and optimistic.

AFM - egg retrieval from our donor went well on Saturday - 19 were collected. The embryologist called today to tell us that 17 were mature (and therefore injected with DH sperm), and as of this morning, 12 appear to have fertilized (he said there could be a late-bloomer or two tomorrow, but that 12 was a great number, so I will take it!). Have started progesterone (added to the estradiol and Lupron)...getting that bloated feeling. Last dose of lupron is tomorrow night. Will be very glad to stop it.

Counting the minutes until transfer Thursday!

11 years ago

Hi all. I saw someone get a positive on another topic I follow. I'm so happy to see someone get a positive.
Buggyboo I'm in sa.
Afm tough day today. Temp dropped this morning. I'm cranky at everyone so that feels like pms. I also got upset and cried at work, a work issue that someone made personal. 21 day test not returned either. Ahhhhh Oh and one more thing, I've been exercising to lose weight and my partner bought me a situp bench, I know I should be happy that he is encouraging but ick they are hard work.

11 years ago

Welcome, Buggyboo! Very excited for you, justone!

AFM, I didn't end up pregnant on my own - had another chemical this month. That's twice in a row after years of negatives, so I don't know whether to take it as a good sign or just as a sign that all of my eggs are now duds. I start birth control pills tonight for our last go at IVF.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

11 years ago

@justone - how exciting. Fingers crossed for you! Can't wait until Thursday and your bfp!

@essemkay - I know how you feel. I am hoping my e ggs srent toast as well. I still haven't received my bloodtest results. I will call tomorrow afternoon if they don't call me. Hoping you get your bfp soon! I pray mine is on the way too!

User Image

11 years ago

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to wish you well for Thursday, Justone. It all sounds very exciting and promising. We have been skirting around the issue of donor eggs just recently, but it's very difficult in Australia. Quite an arduous task, actually and owing to the fact that we already have donor sperm, a more complicated decision all 'round. We'll see....
Montanella- good luck with that sit-up bench! I could do with losing some pounds too. Well done on exercising. You are very motivated.
Essemkay-Thanks for your welcome. Sorry to hear about your chemical. I reckon that's the cruellest gig! I think you can take comfort in the fact that your uterus knows what to do after your history of TTC. I have everything crossed for your last cycle. If this frozen blastocyst doesn't work out for us.......I don't know!? My fella is wanting to get off the whole roundabout of IVF, but I feel like i'm not done yet. It saddens me that my age is the governing factor of which I have no control over. We met later in life ( 6 years ago ). Ironic that I was paranoid about GETTING pregnant with my ex. Things happen for a reason, I guess. I have to be grateful that I met my current partner and we have a beautiful healthy son already. As I have stated above, we are slowly sussing out egg donor options o/seas. I KNOW the quality of my eggs are cr*p, but thankfully I have a fair few left given my age. Just have to find the right one.....an expensive exercise ( emotionally AND financially when the only option is IVF ).
Torontochick and Swimmom- continued best wishes on your pregnancy!
Good luck to you, Holly.

11 years ago

Hi all. How is everyone. I started spotting yesterday, af is due tomorrow so I'm not surprised. This month I'm going to take 100mg of clomid from days 3 to 7.I've also ordered pre seed so will be using that for the first time. I feel good that I have a plan.

11 years ago

Quick note about preseed - don't use the amount it says to use! Use like a quarter of that, you can always add more if you need to (but you won't need to) - otherwise you will be drowning in the stuff! :)

Good luck!!

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

11 years ago

Good luck as you get going for this next round, Montanella. And I second the advice of Essemkay regarding the PreSeed...a little goes a very long way.

Donor egg was something that it took me a while to get okay with. I think it was a combination of the encouragement I got from reading this board as well as a blog or comment on another board that if you stop and think about it, your kids aren't likely to get the best of you and your partners' traits anyway. And the more i thought about my worse qualities and what a genetic child might have to deal with, the more comfortable I got with the whole DE notion! I'm giggling and serious about that at the same time sort of.

But its a different journey for everyone, so please don't anybody think I'm making light.

AFM - The ET went fine Thursday. Of 13 fertilized, only 2 were good quality so they were both transferred. None to freeze, even after the lab gave them an extra day to perk up. I have to admit that knocked the wind out of my sails a bit. The embryologist assured me the two we transferred were very good quality (one was beginning to hatch), but now I'm navigating that space between being glad that we don't have the moral burden of a bunch of frosties in limbo and being wigged out with extra pressure due to lack of any "spares". I wish we'd thought about using donor sperm with half our eggs (I suspect DH may have more underlying probs than merely low count and motility). Also, we went with an unproven donor and it took about 4 days longer than usual for her eggs to mature, so not sure whether that is a contributing factor or not. But no point looking back. Fingers still crossed.

Would I be wrong to start thinking about choosing a new donor already? I think my DH is eager to see everything play out, one way or another. I'm not a fan of putting another giant dent in our savings, but we could. On the one hand, I hate to lose momentum. On the other, I might be losing perspective. Also, we sold the house we're in and bought our "forever" house on Wednesday (day before transfer).

11 years ago

Hi all!

Ugh...i'm SO tired lately I don't look anywhere NEAR as glamourous as this chick at ALL ---------------->

Congratulations on your house, Justone! Such exciting news.

In short, no I don't think you are wrong to start planning your next strategy should things go poorly for you. When we are 40+ I think we are all very aware that time isn't our friend when it comes to fertility. I have just come back from an appt with my FS regarding this very quandary. We have 1 blastocyst left and I want to give it my best shot so am having an op on my birthday ( as it turns out ) very soon to suss out my uterus etc. It may be our last IVF cycle, so I feel a lot of pressure for it to be the lucky last using my own eggs. I mentioned that we are contemplating donor eggs ( very early stages ) and his response was "well, actually, you are still making good eggs and embryos - not true as we have done 3 fresh IVF cycles and have only achieved 1 blastocyst - so I feel if you keep going you will get there one day". My response "well, in the meantime, I just get older AND my rate of chromosomal abnormalities ever increases". He couldn't really argue with that. You are right when you think of the other aspect of using DE which is passing on your own genetic material. I would say that my family history is pretty loaded with dodgy health. When we made the difficult decision to use donor sperm, we didn't choose a donor to look like my husband, we opted for his overall health and made sure that his interests were along the same line as my husband's. This was all in aid of providing the very BEST possible combination for a happy, healthy child. The fact we are now speaking about throwing DE in the mix adds another dimension for us.
I also feel that if you abandon everything now, you will always be looking in hindsight and wondering if you made the right decision NOT to go forward. It's such an emotionally exhausting exercise and one that keeps me awake @ night often. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth! I'm sure whatever you decide will be the right decision for you and your husband and I wish you luck. In any case.......you may be pregnant even sooner than you think. ; )

Just as an offside....a neighbour of ours who will very shortly turn 42 has conceived naturally to a a man she has been dating for 4 months. It just so happens to turn out he is wealthy and the pregnancy was not planned ( by him, anyway ) so a "surprise". Yep. Right. A "surprise". She already has 3 children, 2 can't wait to move out of home as she is not exactly "mother of the year" material and this is the 3rd "surprise" pregnancy ( so 4th father to her 4 kids). Good grief........it's a hard pill to swallow and makes me want to spit, to be honest. Life can be very cruel sometimes. I think I have scratched my head "why?" on many an occasion, but this one has left me with a bald spot!

Hope everyone else is travelling well.

11 years ago

Hi! I love reading your posts. I am at the end of my tww. I hate the last two days where pms sympotoms almost mirror pregnancy symptoms. I took Epo this month and flax seed after o. Normally I don't have much cm after o, but this month I saw some yellow creamy cm (sorry tmi), and then some sticky... does anyone else have this? I didn't do opk tests this month because, I become poas obsessed and it isn't a good look. I seem to pee a bit more and my bb are tender on the sides.. The cm thing has me confused. Thank you if anyone can share.

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo