Community post

Discussion

May IUI/IVF 2014

View Full Post

Trying to conceive by IUI or IVF either by the first time or not.

300 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

161 - 170 of 300 Replies | Last Page

Hi everyone, I do my first IUI tomorrow, very excited! We have been trying for 4 years, and had a cancelled IUI at the beginning of this year.

My doctor hasn't offered much advice regarding what I should do/should not do before or after it. Any advice? Bed rest? Gentle exercise? Should I avoid swimming? Do i need to lie with my legs in the air for the rest of the day ;) ?? Any guidance would be appreciated!

10 years ago

hi jojo good luck tomorrow. i wondered the same but nothing really. my dr just made me lay down for 5mins after the procedure. just had mine yesterday!

User Image [bfp

10 years ago

Jojo: I am instructed to lay down in the doctors office for 15-20mins but that is it . No restricts. Good luck. The only things i do myself is no caffine or achohl until AF shows. Then its coffee, wine and candy time for a whole week!!!! :) Thats also when i eat all my junk food. It's almost like i'm punshing my body for not doing what it is suppose to do lol

User Image

10 years ago

I always tested out my trigger. I've found it really depends on the sensitivity of the HPT you are using as to how long the trigger appeared to stay in my system. I had a lot of HPT that the trigger showed on out to 12 or 13 dptrigger, but when those ran out the next lot (same brand) showed trigger out to only 8 or 9 dptrigger.

For those new and wondering here are the basics:

IUI: Puts washed sperm directly into the uterus. IUI can be done with or without medications to increase the number of eggs you are likely to ovulate. Meds can be pills or shots (or both). IUI can be done with or without a trigger shot. Eggs typically ovulate within 36-41 hours of the trigger shot in most women, so this can allow better IUI timing. Trigger shots have HCG in them, which will turn a HPT or an OPK positive until the HCG get out of your system (8-13 days).

IVF: Fertilizes eggs with sperm on a lab bench, allows them to incubate for a few days and then transfers the embryos into the uterus. Can be done with frozen embryos (yours or adopted). Or can be done with fresh embryos, in the fresh case eggs would have to be retrieved from your ovaries before the fertilization and transfer. You would take meds (typically shots) to get your egg count up before the retrieval. You may also need a suppression cycle before the stim meds. If you are doing a frozen transfer cycle you don't need meds (or at least not stim meds, probably still take estrogen and progesterone).

There are lots of flavors of additional things to add to the basic IVF, but I'm not as familiar with those, so I'll let others make that primer.

(also, I started typing this this morning and just realized 6 hours later that I haven't sent it yet, so please pardon if someone else has already provided this info)

10 years ago

There is some research that supports laying down for around 10 minutes but nothing that says any longer than that helps. You can resume any activity that you did before so if you were a runner before, running is fine. It's not a time to pick up a new sport or exercise regime though.

Cutting out caffeine and alcohol can't hurt either!

IAmPregnant Ticker

10 years ago

Claudiamarie23- I tested and uploaded to see if I would get a false positive on 6dpo and it was BFN. So I'll go ahead and test early on Saturday and see if I get that BFP. Good luck testing! Let us know.

Me: 30 DH: 33 TTC since June, 2012 "unexplained infertility" Femera & Ovidrel trigger shot Feb. 2014, March 2014, April 2014 IUI with Femera & Ovidrel - May 2014 IUI with Femera & Ovidrel - June 2014 IUI with Femera & Ovidrel - October 2014

10 years ago

Hello ladies, what a nice thread!

Well, I got a BFN after two IUIs in April, and we are doing it again this month. My insurance will actually end on June 1st, so I do not know what is the coverage going to be after that, so I am really hoping for a BFP!

So my dr was really pushing for an IVF this month, but because of this insurance pickle, I really couldn't commit to it, since we would have to pay 6K after 1st of June, and I am just no ready for it.

Do you think it was a fullish decision? My dr was trying to tell me that at my age (36) after one unsuccessful IUI cycle I have definitely an "unexplained infertility", since all other tests are good. He also said my egg count is low (the number of eggs I have left is as if I am 40 and not 36), so he was really rushing me with the IVF. But it is just so expensive, especially being in between insurances.

What do you girls think? Do I have a chance with IUI, or is IVF my real last option?

10 years ago

Go Sophia welcome!

I thought that and I could be wrong, drs will try at least 3 IUIs before recommending IVF?
This would be the group to find out more info :)

User Image [bfp

10 years ago

Ladies I need your opinion..... as you know I been ttc but no luck (35) and I been placed with a birth mom. Well today at work someone mAde a comment about wasn't I said that I never be a real mom.....

I dunno I fell as an adoptive mom I would be a real mom. I been with this baby since 16 weeks!. My heart just broke and my spirit too. Sigh

10 years ago

TexasGirl, whoever said that is an idiot. No one in their right mind would ever believe that someone who adopts isn't a real parent, both men and women. That also goes for those who are step parents. We know that you'll be a great parent to this child even if it's not biologically yours. Ignore the dummies and keep on going. It doesn't matter how you become a parent, so long as you're a great one!

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo