Community post

Question

Faint Lines that aren't getting darker

Hi all,

My husband and I have been ttc our 4th child for 9 months. Last Wednesday (at 8 DPO) I got a very faint positive on an internet dipstick cheapie. I am a testing fanatic, and in all my other pregnancies I continued to test to see the lines get gradually darker. I am now 13 DPO, and the lines on the internet cheapies look exactly the same as they did 5 days ago. Should I be worried? I should also mention that I have gotten positives on a FRER and a digital test. I KNOW that they are positive, but it is really bothering me that it is not getting darker like they ALWAYS have in the past. I called the doctor and spoke with a phone nurse, who said over the counter tests don't really test "how pregnant" you are, just if you are pregnant or not. I'm having trouble going along with this, since I have always seen it progressively get darker. They did not offer blood work to check or anything like that. Thoughts?

14 Answers • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 14 Answers | Last Page

could be a chemical pregnancy.

User image

6 years ago

The nurse could be right. This batch could just not be good for gauging progression as your tests have in the past. Are you past your AF date? If you are then I would just assume you are pregnant as your tests are saying and make your first OB appointment. You could also try a second FRER and see how it's darkened since your first one. I think your batch of internet dipsticks might just be off. Hoping all goes well for you!

6 years ago

The tests only detect how much hcg is in your urine. If not that much, doubt it be darker. The more you have usually the darker it gets but even then it only gets darker to the limit of the dye they put in. If you not missed AF yet, test the day of or the day after she was due. If she does not come set up for blood work and/or ob visit.

Every pregnancy is different and you may not be producing the hcg as fast or as much as in other pregnancies.

Shelly User image

6 years ago • Edited

I would make them see me or possibly go to ER

Mill

6 years ago

I took a first response and internet cheapie on the same day, first response was my strongest positive so far and internet cheapie was completely blank...and i mean stark white!!

I wouldn’t trust the internet ones

Ingi :)

6 years ago • Edited

Update: No progress. Internet cheapies and FRER are all still the same shade as they were when I first tested positive a week ago. Had blood drawn yesterday, and they said it was "within normal range for pregnancy" but I know that range is very large. I don't go back for a repeat draw until Monday. No bleeding yet, but I am very discouraged and feel that a miscarriage is inevitable at this point

6 years ago • Post starter

What about a clearblue weeks estimator that may help til monday if its within normal range how fr along are you ? you cant assume miscarriage try to relax it may just be that urine is more dilute or tests are different senstivitys ..keeping fingers x for you xx

6 years ago

Don't loose hope hun! Stay positive that Monday will show increasing HCG. If you are in the normal range then it is high enough to say that you are pregnant. I'll be thinking of you.

6 years ago

Mememe I am only 16 DPO. However, I got my first BFP at 8 DPO and it has not gotten any darker in 8 days. In my previous experiences, the tests ALWAYS get darker, especially after a week. So yes, I am trying to hold onto the possibility, but also trying to be realistic. Thanks for the good vibes!

6 years ago • Post starter

I really really hate to this for you. I've had 3 chemical pregnancies and they all started the way you describe. faint lines that never really got darker with time. I don't mean to scare you but want you know the possible reality of the situation.

6 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo