Community post

Question

D&C experiences?!

has anyone had a D&C? how far along where you when you had to get it? Any complications? would just like to hear some stories, I go in tomorrow morning for one so would just like to know your guys input thank you!

User image

9 Answers • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 9 of 9 Answers

Hi mama, I had a D&C after a missed miscarriage at 13 weeks. The baby stopped growing at 12 weeks. I had no complications and it all went by like this.
I found out about the miscarriage on the 1st of June in the morning. I decided to stay in the hospital and get the D&C that same day at night. After 8 hours without eating anything, they inserted near the opening of the uterus some medications for it to start opening. I started bleeding around an hour after they inserted the meds, and after two hours I started to expel large clots.(TMI sorry) When the clots started to come out they took me to the operation room and they put my under anesthesia. The procedure lasted only 25 minutes and I was out in the recovery room very quickly. I stayed there for another 25 minutes and then taken to my room. Next day 2nd in the morning I was able to go home.
After the D&C I kept bleeding for 10 days, at first it was pretty heavy (nothing worse than a heavy period) and the last 5 days it looked more like the last day of my period than anything else.
I wasn’t in any pain or discomfort during those 10 days, but they did prescribed some pain killers just in case.
Finally I started a new cycle 31 days after the procedure was done. But I´ve heard its normal for AF to take up to 8 weeks to come back. I think it all depends on the time it takes your body to heal.
That’s basically everything that happened to me. I’m sorry you have to go through a D&C, they suck… and I’m so sorry for your loss.

5 years ago

I have no experience with a D&C but I just wanted to say my heart goes out to you.

User image

5 years ago

Thanks vs1234. I tried to do my miscarriage naturally and at home and I thought all was well until Monday when they did an ultrasound to make sure my body had expelled all the tissue from the pregnancy. They found tissue still in there so they decided a D&C would be the best course of action so I do not get an infection. I was supposed to be 9 weeks 4 days when I found out I had lost the baby about a week earlier l. It took a long time for my body to begin the process, I ended up in the hospital when I did start bleeding with some complications. All that passed I was still bleeding about 5 1/2 weeks later. I’m ready to love past this. And thank you rooroo it’s hard but I’m working my way thru it

User image

5 years ago • Post starter

I had an erpc as it’s called but the same thing back in September at 8 weeks. I was told at 6 weeks it was a non viable pregnancy due to slow rising hcg but after another 2 weeks my body wasn’t ready to do it naturally, and a scan showed no progression. Was done under general anaesthetic and nurses and doctors were lovely. I had watery discharge for a few days after then dark brown spotting for a few days after that. I was very fortunate my period returned exactly 28 days later then my cycles bounced straight back to 26 days after that, and I have just got my bfp on my 5th cycle since so absolutely petrified. My heart absolutely goes out to you, one of the worst things emotionally I have ever gone through, it’s only when looking online you realise how common it is not that it makes it any easier. Here for any support x

5 years ago

Thanks guys. Everything went well from what I can tell so far. Only light spotting so far. Had some pretty bad cramping when I first got out from the procedure but much much better now. A lot more bare able. Just been sleepy from everything in my system today. Was told my normal cycle could return anywhere from 30-90 days from now. Does it really take that long? That’s crazy! I wanna get this new cycle over so I can return to trying again.

User image

Aww bless you, I’m glad it went as well as it could, I think they say 90 days to be on the safe side, I did so much reading up on this before mine and it seemed that most women got them back in 4-6weeks tops especially if they were pretty regular before. My Surgeon told me there’s no reason why I can’t start trying again that first cycle aslong as I waited for bleeding to stop, a friend of mine actually fell pg straight away with no period in between and has a healthy 3 month old! Sending lots of love xx

5 years ago

I would like to try again right away but the hubby and I still need some time to recover from everything this loss really took a toll on both of us. I’m not going to prevent it from happening but we’re not going to actively “try” if it happens it happens is what I’m going with right now. Thanks for all the support everyone! I need it. It’s so nice hearing people’s experiences and knowing your not alone in something.

User image

So sorry for your loss but glad the procedure went well. I had a D&C in January 2015. I first tried the pill that gets the process moving but, after an ultrasound, there was still tissue so I had to have the D&C anyways (lesson learned on my part). The procedure went well for me too. My doctor told me to wait 2 cycles after the D&C. Can't remember dates or anything but I must have gotten a period shortly after as I know I listened to my doctor and I know I was pregnant again that late March. My point is, I recommend listening to your doctor and your body. Your cycle could start fairly quickly again.

Colton "Casually" TTC #2 Go Bills!

5 years ago

I had a d&c after no heart beat detected at first scan, as little bean didn't want to leave. I had no spotting or blood visible, the experience was upsetting of course but the hospital experience was wonderful, I was in no pain and treated with respect. I had little bleeding after and some slight soreness for a few weeks after, but mostly was emotional wounds.

I had previously miscarried twice and passed the pregnancies, I found them traumatic experiences and one was flooding with blood so badly I ended up in hospital in an ambulance and treated terribly in a&he. So between a d&c and a natural miscarriage I will always say my experience of the d&c was much better.
Sending you love
X

5 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo