Community post

Question

Anyone on metformin?

This question has tmi but here it goes. I been taking metformin for like a month and I noticed that im passing the undigested pills in my stool.. I only notice it when I have diarrhea, which has been happening a lot since taking metformin...I can tell its the pills cus its the same shape but it looks inflated and yellow... has this happen to anyone? Is the metformin even working?

4 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

One of the main side effects of Metformin are GI issues - diarrhea being the main culprit! Joy! How are you taking your metformin? All at once? pills at different times of the day?

11 years ago

been on Metformin for years, and yes really bad upset tummy at first, this is my advice which does work, as sometimes i start and stop Metformin.

Take one tablet with your main meal for one week, then up to two tablets the next week, one with your lunch and one with your main meal, don't take it on an empty stomach, also although you shouldn't but if you have eaten something really high in fat and sugar i didn't take the tablet coz i knew i would sit on the toilet for hours!!!

Metformin is great it makes you realise how fatty your diet is, basically the less fat u eat the less tummy troubles you get.

11 years ago

Thank you ladies! I started with one pill a day after lunch.. then I started taking 2 pills at once and thats when the diarrhea got worse... in the last few days I went back to 1.. im even scared to take it cus its so bad...

11 years ago • Post starter

I take mine all at once at night - it does seem to help with the symptoms. I also worked up to the three pills I take now. I couldn't do the full 2000 mg - it just made me miserable. Taking it on a full stomach or with food is key!

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo