Community post

Question

Do you ever have any doubts of your chances based on the way you were raised?

I was told by my dad that I wouldnt be able to have children because I had sex before marriage. My dad was constantly informing me of how I would undoubtedly have physical problems later in life because I did not wait to have sex until after I was married. This may sound silly to some...but it affected me greatly. I'm 21 and married now but every cycle (this is our 3rd) all I can think is, "it's not gonna happen for me because of my decision to not wait till marriage. I'm going to be punished." I dont even believe it when i'm hearing it . But it's still a constant thought in the back of my mind...has anybody else experienced this kind of a mental block or had an authority figure tell them they would be punished for their "sins" by not being able to conceive??

User Image User Image

7 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Answers

Well I was'nt told that by my parents but some of my family members believe that I won't conceive until I get married because that is the way God intended it to be.

12 years ago

I believe God intends us to be married too. I'm talking about telling your child that they will be punished by being infertile

User Image User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

I've never heard of anybody saying that before. What a ridiculously rude thing to say to your child. Besides that, I am sure the number of ummarried mothers are quite high, and even the married mothers I'm sure have a high percentage of sex before marriage. The world is changing.

I do know what you mean though. Things you are told over and over can greatly effect you, even if you don't believe them. And especially when you feel guilty for it. Since I met my husband he kept saying he knew we wouldn't be able to have kids because he didn't think he could get anybody pregnant. We decided in January to start trying sometime this year and in March he got tested with perfect results. Still, every month that was in the back of my mind because I'd heard it for so long and thought we wouldn't be able to. I am now 10 weeks pregnant. Try to stay positive and keep the doubtful thoughts from creeping in. Oh, and we had lots of sex before marriage!!

12 years ago

Keep the faith and hope that you will have a baby. Stay positive.. =) It will happen trust me. I wasn't able to get pregnant for 3 almost 4 years after my daughter no matter how hard we tried. So we stopped trying for a while. Then our first time this August we tried and got pregnant!! God will bless you when it's time. Just keep the faith and it will happen. Best of luck to you and your husband..!!

12 years ago

Try not to let yourself get too down about it. I honestly worry too. I had an abortion when I was 19 and very very stupid. I too felt like I was going to be punished when I actually DID want to get pregnant-that my baby wouldn't be healthy or wouldn't live long or something would go wrong. I finally felt better only 6 months ago when I started a womens bible study at my church. We did a study by Beth Moore and it said flat out that God does not punish those who love Him and ask for forgiveness. I don't want to be preachy and force religion down anyone's throat, but in the book, it just says that "

God forgives ALL confessed sins, no matter what they are, and if you have a heart that's full of godly sorrows, you must know that He is no longer angry nor is He plotting wrath on your behalf. "

Let those words free you. Allow yourself to be forgiven and don't let yourself be consumed with that guilt. Remember it can take perfectly healthy couples up to a year. And remember P

12 years ago

I was told by a FORMER co-worker once that my "womb was polluted" b/c I had premarital sex... And yes, having fertility issues does make that conversation play over in my mind at times. However, I agree with what some of the other ladies said ... there are plenty of unwed mothers out there so that simply cannot be the case. Take care hun & good luck to you!

User Image User Image 6.23.2012 DD #1

12 years ago

I am so sorry that your father chose to scar you like that! Mine was just as bad. I got pregnant with my 1st son while not married and he wouldn't even call him by his name after he was born. Needless to say, we haven't spoken in 12 years because of that. Spirituality and religion can be a good thing for some people, but when it is used as a weapon like this, it does far more damage than just about any other traumatic event in your life. I am not religious myself, but i do NOT believe that god would ever punish any woman like your father told you! The Bible says that ALL babies are precious in the eyes of God and they are ALL welcome and loved by Him. I think you should find a good therapist to talk to who can help you find ways to get past the guilt he inflicted on you and help you see that sex before marriage has NOTHING to do with infertility or childbearing in any way! I dont believe god would prevent any baby from entering the world and being loved. :-)

12 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo