Community post

Journal

PCOS Without the Pill

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was about 14 years old. I was given the birth control pill as treatment. For about 13 years old, I took Yasmin nonstop. About 5 1/2 weeks ago I stopped taking the pill. I was so afraid that I would immediately break out with acne (like I had as a young teenager) and start growing unsightly facial hair (which I also has a touch of before the pill). I was pleased when a couple of weeks went by and I noticed minor changes, but not drastic ones. In fact, I even lost a few pounds, which may have been a result of discontinuing the pill.

Now, it has been close to 6 weeks, and I am starting to notice more changes. Oily skin, some acne (although not unsightly at this point) and some increase in facial hair. It is disappointing, but I do feel better equipped to deal with these issues as an adult. I am no longer in high school, thank goodness.

These changes do make me think that getting pregnant sooner rather than later might make me happy. I wouldn't mind having a hormonal shift that would help keep these side effects of PCOS at bay.

Here is the other interesting part of the story. About 1 year ago, I was diagnosed with vulvodynia. This is a medical condition I wouldn't wish on anyone. Essentially, something happened to cause the nerves in my vagina to freak out, causing things like sex and using a tampon to be extremely painful. I tried medications, which I could not tolerate, and I have been in physical therapy for months. When I told my physical therapist I was going off the pill, she said, "Interesting. I don't know why, but it seems a lot of women that go off the pill see improvement with their vulvodynia". Sure enough, within a few weeks, I noticed a huge improvement. Basically, the problem is a non-factor when I have sex now, which is amazing compared to what the last year has been like! It's almost a miracle.

So, (assuming that I get pregnant and have a baby) when I am no longer breast feeding, I will need to figure out what our birth control method will be. Will I need to be on the pill to control my PCOS or will I be able to figure out another solution? Now that I'm off the pill and know that I can have enjoyable sex, I don't think I want to start taking the pill again. But, do I want to deal with acne and other problems that are a result of my elevated testosterone levels?

One thing I do know is that losing a few pounds and working towards a healthy lifestyle certainly couldn't help. It seems that every discussion leads me back to this solution. Let's see if I can finally do it.

0 Comments • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo