Community post

Question

6 week ultrasound and no fetus or heartbeat

I went in for my first ultrasound and the gestational sac was measuring at exactly 6 weeks. There was a yolk sac, but we were not able to confirm the presence of the fetus and there was no heartbeat.

I'm a little freaked out and we will be going in for another ultrasound 1 week later, but I am hoping to hear from expecting mothers that had this experience and everything was ok when they went in again for an early ultrasound.

Thank you!

6 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Answers

Katyhh, I'm so sorry you are going through this awful waiting game. I don't have experience with that situation, but I have had ultrasounds especially early ones where it took the nurse several minutes to find the HB. Did they offer a vaginal US? Those can be a little better at the early stages.

I hope you get to hear that HB next time. Good luck.

10 years ago

Me me!! My 2nd pregnancy we went in and there was a sac and a baby but no heartbeat. They did blood level testing and those didn't rise. Went in a week later and dr said she over 95% sure I was miscarrying. Gave me option of d&c or another ultrasound. I told her I want no regrets! Went in and there was a heartbeat!!! My little one is 7 now. :-)

10 years ago

I had a scan after bleeding at about 5plus4 and there was literally just the sack, they advised me to come back a week later also but I was only home that week then back to Germany so I waited it out until my 12 week scan and everything was fine, I'm now 17 weeks gone. Fingers crossed it's the same for you x

10 years ago

This is completely normal, it happened to me. I went in at 6 weeks and only the sac and yolk was present, then went back a week later to find a baby and a healthy heart beat. They say they cannot understand why on earth doctors send woman before 7w for this reason as it is so common and it just freaks you out. Please don't worry, it is a lot more common than you think. I also had a friend who didn't get a heatbeat until 8w and they were going to do a D&C and her monthly instinct she decided to wait. He is now 10yrs. So just give it some time.

10 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your experiences! I'm feeling fairly positive and I'm anxious for Monday to come, when hopefully I'll be feeling much, much better!

10 years ago • Post starter

You guys are lucky, mine had no hearbeat and I miscarried. I was supposed to be 9 weeks though and it was only 6 weeks in size. I hope your baby is okay!

User Image

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo