Community post

Question

Can my smoking really affect my fertility?

I've only smoked for 3 months. Is that really enough to hurt my chances of having a baby

Mary Kayser :)

5 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Smoking effects so many different parts of your body, so it can definitely effect your chances to concieve. If you have only been smoking for such a short time, it shouldn't be that hard for you to stop. There are NO health benefits to smoking, only dangerous side effects. If you are seriously ttc, you might as well stop smoking now, because you will have to stop once you get pregnant. Please don't feel that I am being rude, I smoked when I was younger, and stopped after seeing the side effects. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

User Image

12 years ago

Not only will it affect the chances of you getting pregnant but it increases your chance of having a premature baby, a very small age baby or even effect the baby's mental ability. It's best to stop smoking before you try to conceive. Again, like the previous answer I'm not trying to be rude...but it's one thing to hurt yourself, but if you're planning on bringing a child into this world please stop smoking so you don't hurt the child.

12 years ago

Smoking anything effects your chances of getting pregnant and maintaing a healthy pregnancy. A good friend of mine had three misscarriages before finally having a healthy 9 month pregnancy and delivering a beautiful little girl a month ago. Really the best thing to do is to quit, they have wonderful supports groups you can join, because while pregnant you don't want to put your baby in harms way. I went to the dcotrs for my first prenatal visit and in the book they gave me here is what they say about smoking while TTC and while pregnant:
"...Even passive smoking or breathin in smoke from cigarettes/cigars can be dangerous... If you smoke, you will have a greater chance of misccariage or stillbirth. You will also run a greater risk of having a premature baby or one that dies early in life from a crib death or SIDS."
Best of luck honey! The best thing to do is to quit to pretect you and your future little on<3 Baby dust!!

12 years ago

If you want to try to quit then you should get an E-cigarette at least to help cut out all the tar, embalming fluid, rat poison, and other chemicals in the smoke. I switched over to E-cigarettes and actually ovulated for the first time in awhile (I have PCOS) If you don't want to commit to a e-cig kit then you can go to a tobacco shop and get a disposable e-cig. They are about 7 dollars and equivalent to 2 packs. Then if you like it get a rechargeable one (Cig2O is awesome) for 17 dollars and order e-juice (pinkspotvapors.com) with VERY low nicotine. I've been able to get down to almost no nicotine at all. The e-cig still feels just like a cigarette, but without the chemicals.The smoke (actually water vapor) that you inhale only contains nicotine and you can buy the tastiest flavors. Nicotine is harmful - like caffeine or excess sugar- but its nothing compared to all the poisons in smoke. Plus, 0 risk for lung cancer! 3 months smoking is nothing - i smoked for 12 years.You could quit!

12 years ago

Yes it is horrible you could have damaged yourself

12 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo