Community post

Discussion

Implanon--Side Effects Concerns Issues PLEASE READ

Ladies. I have been a member on here for a very long time but have never posted anything.
I decided to get Implanon Birth Control. My regular OB/GYN told me that she didn't recommend this form of birth control and their office will not implant the rod.
I didn't want anything that would be permanent or that wouldn't work. I thought Implanon was perfect. 3 years of protection with minimal side effects. Boy was I wrong!!! I got the Implanon Birth Control rod at a womanâ??s center in September 2011. The insertion was easy and I tolerated the procedure well and left happy.
Within a month of getting the Implanon rod I began having terrible headaches. Later to find out that the Implanon had caused my spinal pressure to increase giving me Pseudo Tumor Cerebri. Incurable, the only help is losing weight. SO I tried that... nothing! I gained weight. I cut out pasta, tomatoes and sauce, alfrado sauce, milk, cheese, sour cream, cottage cheese, and most meat. I tried very hard to lose weight. I began working out 4 days a week and following my calorie intake and food intake closely. I continued to gain weight. I began at 150 lbs and ended at 220 lbs. In November 2012 I went to see an endocrinologist for several issues that my family dr and OB/GYN couldn't help me with. She diagnosed me with having high cholesterol, Vitamin D deficiency, thyroid issues, pre-diabetes, and PCOS.
Now I know that it seems a little crazy that I got all of this from one small rod in my arm... but I was completely healthy prior to getting this medication. I was a little bit over weight, but I had just had a baby! Both my endocrinologist and OB/GYN advised that I get this birth control removed as soon as possible.
My OB/GYN removed the rod in January 2013 and while she was completing the procedure she informed me that Implanon and Merck (makers of Implanon) revised their brochures to include additional health concerns and issues. (Included: cystic ovaries, high cholesterol, increased spinal pressure, headaches, and vitamin deficienciesâ??.)
I am still trying to get pregnant (17 months total), this month I have tried a non-medicated cycle to see what happens.
The reason for this long post is to help others.
Implanon is supposed to be a combination drug, the FDA passed the drug because it was supposed to be dissolvable (like stitches) in the arm. The drug is supposed to be easy insertion and easy withdrawal. NOT THE CASE! In fact many women have to have exploratory surgery to find it. The rod is not detectable on X-Ray, or Ultrasound and the only way to find it is through surgery. I want to get a poll going to see if anyone else has had similar issues with Implanon as me. I'm looking for people with the following issues:
1st group: Women who have significant emotional issues caused by the BC (whether or not you suffered from emotional problem beforehand, you can bet your life on the fact those issues are now in the forefront of your life. IMPLANON makes those problems 10X worse.)
2nd group: Women who had doctors who gave them problems or excuses when they requested it (IMPLANON) removed.
3rd group: Women whose lives have been severely changed, (Infertility - or disability from removal, lost relationships due to anger/moodiness, personality change/lack of interest in sex)
I am looking for women experiencing side effects that are causing an obvious quality of life issue. This quality does not have to be suicidal thoughts only. (However those of you who are experiencing the severe depression, deep sadness and suicidal thoughts, maybe, you can focus those negative feelings you have into a positive thing by helping us get you compensated. Concentrate on the very real fact compensation can be yours in the future.)
Women who have any side effect in which it is causing a problem you have determined to be not worth the convenience of having the BC. Can take part. The whole point of the fight is IMPLANON is not 100% removable. This is an email address to the woman who is fighting the fight for women who have suffered as a result of Implanon. Email her stating your group (1 2 or 3. You can choose 1 group, 2 groups, or all 3 groups, use the group number as your subject and tell her your story.
If you feel you have been wronged by this company please feel free to email me or MaryAnn. Mention to her that you made contact with me, or read my post (Rachael Forsthoefel). She is not an attorney, telling her that you found her through me does not help me, but helps her. She asked me to have them tell her this information. I have suffered because of Merckâ??s negligence, and so has MaryAnn and so many other women.
Thank you for reading.

Her name: MaryAnn
Her Email: lcbc221@gmail.com
My name: Rachael
My Email: Rachael.Forsthoefel@gmail.com

0 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo