Community post

Question

Help please girls: Progesterone "as a precaution"? Without testing levels?

Hey ladies,

I'm hoping that some of you can share similar experiences/offer advice on a suggestion my gyno made yesterday:

I am currently 4 weeks pregnant so I went to see my doctor to get the first trimester blood test, ask some questions etc. I recently had a MMC at 10 weeks (in December) so I asked her if it was necessary to test my progesterone levels. She said that it wasn't necessary but if it would make me feel calmer, I could take a low dose (200mg) a day via vaginal capsule during the first trimester.

I thought it was strange advice, as for all she knows my levels could be normal or even high. Could this not be damaging? Should I seek a second opinion? Have any of you girls taken progesterone "blindly" without knowing your levels?

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and for any help you can offer.

5 Answers • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

My doctor said i should test for levels as taking it blindly might stop your natural production if not needed. But as you have miscarried before i would still take it as it may help. If you really worried do tests private pand check your levels. I red loads of forums and it seems quite common to take progesterone suplement after misscarriage. Hope itll help.

6 years ago

Thank you so much @mondin!

6 years ago • Post starter

Test your progesterone, mine was fine and I still had a chemical pregnancy. Next go around I would supplement
progesterone for the first trimester, I don't think it would hurt. All the best this pregnancy

After 6 years TTC with MFI number 1 was born December 12 2018

6 years ago

My Dr. Put me on progesterone because it took me so long to get pregnant. I insisted they test it. It was low at 10.6 ..... I was on promentrium already. However, a week later I made them test it again and it was only up to 11.2, so they upped my dose. It's not the Dr.'s baby. They weren't the ones that had a miscarriage. Be proactive. I'd throw a fit till they checked.

Mill

6 years ago

You girls are amazing and totally right about being proactive. Thank you, i’ll make sure that I get my levels tested.

6 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo