Community post

Question

Scared to be optimistic, but can it be???

Hallo!
I have an irregular period, with about a 31 day average. I'm on day 34 and have been feeling menstr like cramps the last 3 days. But no bleeding. Breast are a bit tender at the sides and bottom and have had a headache these last 2 day. I'm scared to test. My longest period has been 35 days, which will be tomorrow. Should I wait or test? I really don't want to be disappointed again. Irregular periods mess with emotions when you're trying to conceive! Ladies, what do you think????

7 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Answers

Hi I too have irregular periods sometimes 30 days up to 37 days, which makes it hard when your TTC... If I was you id wait to test as long as you can. This could just be another long cycle for you. And the symptoms your having could be AF on its way, try to wait till the end of this week to test .

Baby dust to you and hoping you get your BFP

User Image

12 years ago

My Cycles are usually 31 days. This past cycle i got BFaintPs on 11 and 12DPO. Then i got negative bloodwork on 13DPO. AF showed on CD37. It's so hard when you have irregular cycles too. My rule of thumb now is not to test until it's been OVER my longest cycle... Best of luck, you're not alone!

12 years ago

I had very irregular cycles (from 24 to 47 days) but through using my fertility monitor and OPKs I learned that my luteal phase is 14 days (so once I ovulate....however long that takes....AF shows up 14 days later). Most women actually have consistant luteal phases (despite having irregular cycles), so you might want to consider using BBTs and/or OPKs to start to figure out when you ovulated. You should start to see a pattern between ovulation and AF. So the cycle that was 47 days long, I ovulated on day 33 (so I knew to expect AF 14 days later). The cycle I got my BFP I ovulated on day 26 and on day 40 (14 dpo) AF didn't show up, so I tested and got my BFP. I'm 22 weeks now. So it's completely possible to get pregnant with irregular cycles, you just need to learn your body:-)

It really takes a lot of the guesswork (and stress & heartache) out of the waiting game. Seriously something to consider. Good luck!

12 years ago

I just wanted to add, that not to base it on 'averages', especially with irregular cycles. My average length was something like 34 days. So, the cycle I conceived, had I not known when I ovulated (day 26) and had I not known my LP was 14 days, I would have thought I was a week late when I finally got my BFP at day 40. In reality, I was right on time , but I could have had myself freaking out for a week because it was over my "average" number of days.

It's also important to know when you ovulated to determine gestational age once you get pregnant. They thought I should have been further along than I was based on my LMP, but I was able to tell them when I ovulated and the gestational age was confirmed on ultrasound. Took a lot of guesswork out of that too:-) Otherwise I might have been freaking out thinking my baby wasn't growing fast enough. Good luck!

12 years ago

I got a BFP last night!!!!! Couldn't wait any longer so I did the test! POSITIVE! Did another one this morning, also BFP!!!!!!!!! So it's dr's appointment for us today! SOooooo excited!!

12 years ago • Post starter

Lost the baby the next day. Think it was a chemical pregnancy, as there was nothing in the womb when we did a sonar to confirm miscarriage. Now to try again :)

12 years ago • Post starter

So sorry for your loss. I MC'd the same day of my first US too. Sending you lots of hugs.

12 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo