Community post

Question

underweight an issue?

Hi all!
My hubby and I have been ttc since October. I'm underweight, BMI 18, and was wondering if that could have an effect on my fertility? My cycle has also been messed up!
Went of the pill end of August, had a 32,30 and then 29 day cycle. So I thought I stabilized. Just to be a week late this month on a 35 day cycle. Is this normal? I also started spotting for a day before, which I never do.

Looking forward to any advice!

3 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

Being underweight can effect your ability to get pregnant and can also be the cause of irregular periods. Also when just getting off bc it can take a while for your cycle to get back to normal. I would just make sure you are eating healthy and have a balanced diet and not over excersizing. And after a year of no success you should talk to your doctor. I dont think you should be worried yet it still so early, best of luck to you!

12 years ago

I had trouble getting pregnant when I was underweight. It wasn't until I was finally able to put on about 5-7 pounds that I finally got pregnant. Sometimes gaining weight is as hard as losing it! It's like your body knows when it's healthy enough to carry a pregnancy :-)

The pill can screw up your cycle and so can being underweight (or if you weight is fluctuating a lot). Wait a few more cycles to let your body adjust. Also I would bbt chart, or use OPKs - that way you'll know for sure if you're ovulation and when. It will give you peace of mind to know that you're bding at the right times.

Good luck! Now go eat some cheesecake! ;)

12 years ago

Thank you for your advice! I went to a dietitian yesterday and she wants me to be on a BMI of at least 20, so I am hoping to gain 8pounds over the next 4 months with a meal plan. Scary, but hopefully worth it! In the meantime i'm hoping the idea that Im gaining weight won't freak my hormones out too much! :)

12 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo