Community post

Question

Levothyroxine, and pregnancy?

I have recently developed a thyroid problem, and have been on levothyroxine for about 8 months now...will that affect our chances of getting pregnant? Will it take longer? Have no effect?

User Image User Image User Image

3 Answers • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

Hi Sweetie. I also have thyroiditis and take thyroxine every day. So long as you're taking the required dose every day it shouldn't affect your attempts to fall pregnant. You may want to ask for a blood test to be sure that your tsh is at the right level (not too high). Sometimes when you start on thyroid medication it can take a while for your body to find the perfect dose for you. Then once you do fall pregnant get tested again immediately because the physiological changes in pregnancy can mean you may need to take a bigger dose. This happens to me in pregnancy, last time the moment I fell pregnant my tsh levels rose dramatically so I needed to take another 50mcg every day. Then unfortunately I miscarried and I immediately needed to drop the extra 50mcg because the tsh was super low. It's a bit of a balancing act but once you've got the right dose it's nothing to worry about (unless you go away and forget to take you medication with you ;) Good luck xo

12 years ago

Sorry, me again. I just wanted to add that it's very important to not skip taking the medication or to not have it checked (sometimes certain doctors aren't as vigilant but be assertive about this) because if your thyroid hormone is out it could cause pregnancy problems. But please don't panic, just be aware of how you're feeling. If you feel sluggish or cold/dry etc you might be low, if you feel anxious, jittery or have 'butterflies' in funny places such as your hands then you might be too high. xo

12 years ago

Hi Annie75, thank you so much for that info! Im 7DPO today, and I'm sooooooo tired! keep falling asleep in the strangest places, once even when I was changing my 2 yr olds diaper! I know SOMETHING is going on, so thank you for letting me know I have to have my levels checked! I have had them checked once after starting the meds, and everything looked good with the same dose I had started on. Hopefully they are still good, but I will make an appointment this month to be sure. The only thing going on at this point is I'm EXTREMELY tired, have very bad cramps, worse then ever in my life, and i seem to be STARVING all the time! I'll have to see if these symptoms have to do with the thyroid, just in case I dont get my BFP this month. Once again, thanks for all of your info!! Baby Dust to you, I'll add you :)

User Image User Image User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo