Community post

Discussion

Fertility aids, supplements, vitamins and why we take them.

View Full Post

What do you do to increase your chances of getting pregnant and why? Have you noticed any changes and how long did it take? Have you had any side effects? Have you had IUI or IVF? Can you give advice on what to expect for someone considering it?
Basically, do you have anything useful to pass on to someone starting their journey or is looking to improve their chances?
Thank you ladies ????

32 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

21 - 30 of 32 Replies | Last Page

Kerzie, thanks for elaborating on the glutathione. I mentioned astaxanthin and aroniaberries just in the context of "antioxidants". There is an ongoing discussion about whether antioxidants may increase fertility. My acupuncturist recommends eating lots of berries as part of the fertility diet - because of the antioxidants they contain. Aroniaberries is at the top of the list. I suggest that anyone who is interested google "antixidants fertility". Astaxanthin supposedly is also helpful in increasing male fertility. Of course, excellent for women also. It is not yet clearly understood how and if antioxidants increase fertility. That's why whoever is interested should start their own little research on whatever supplement they are interested in.

Anyhow, I do pycnogenol, grape seed extract, vitaminC, aroniaberries, astaxanthin, ALA, lots of carrot juice, spirulina, and wheatgrass tablets.
I also want to mention a study that found that too many antioxidants may decrease fertility!

8 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the berries ladies.

I use Omega 3 from Webber as its triple strength. The store brand ones usually have low EPA/DHA levels plus you also need to know mercury levels. But its really helpful.

8 years ago

Thanks veryclearly, every tip is much appreciated.

8 years ago • Post starter

Can I comment on a treatment that I'm doing also or is that not relevant?

8 years ago

Hello,
Of course you can, the idea behind this thread was to inform women. Even if you dance naked every full moon, drinking the tears of fairies. Everyone is unique and any advice or experience is greatly appreciated.

Kenzie - Thanks for sharing the link to this thread with me! It was so informational! You ladies really know a lot about supplements...and what they help with.

I am just only beginning my journey down this path, but you ladies are making it much easier with your wealth of knowledge.

I am not certain if anyone will respond here since the thread seems to have died down a few months back, but here are my questions just in case...

1) B complex /B vitamins 6 & 12 - Should you take all 3 at the same time? I think I understood that they (or some of them) work better together. B com + B6. I also read that B6 is the most important. Clarification on this?

2) I am taking DHA (I took it all throughout my last pregnancy as well). Is this the same as what you are all mentioning when you say DHEA and Omega oils? I've always used the brand Nurtrasea. It doesn't tasted bad and it seems to be really high quality.

3) I never stopped taking a prenatal - so do you guys just subtract the amount in the prenatal from the overall amount you mention in the threads?

I'll give it some time....maybe someone will still be watching this thread to comment on my questions.

Thanks to all!

8 years ago

Lunardays, promise to get back to you later when my ds is in bed. He is just back from swimming lessons and is a typical 5yr old boy, noisy and won't give me a min to think straight. But I love it

Hi Lunardays,
1. Vitamin b6, zinc and magnesium regulate the hormones responsible for pregnancy, and can help keep your hormone levels high, which can help prevent a mc. If your hormone levels are low your chances of implantation are reduced and problems sustaining a pregnancy occur.
B vitamins absorb better when taken at the same time, b6 and b12 should be balanced out. Include taking folate at this time too as it acts as a b vit.
I would say b6, b12 and folate are the most important b vitamins. Pyridoxine is the easiest form of vitamin b6 absorbed by the body.

2. No dha is not the same as dhea. Dhea is the hormone produced by the adrenal glands. The production of this hormone declines with age, it is considered to slow the aging process. Studies have shown that it can help the older lady produce young eggs.

3. Prenatal tablets are great for saving time but usually have cheaper, less absorbed forms of vitamins and supplements. Check to see which form of each ingredient is in your prenatal and work out if separate tablets would be better for you. It depends if you are trying to correct certain issues such as hormonal imbalance or luteal phase defect in which case you would adjust your levels of vitamins and supplements that could help and in the most absorbed form.
I'm addressing a lpd so take separates unless I'm in a major rush, then I take a prenatal as I still have some to use up.

Once you have done your bbt for a month or two you will be aware of any obvious problems. My luteal phase (days from ovulation until af) was too short so I concentrated on vitamins and supplements which would level out my hormones and it worked.
Hopefully you won't need any of this info and will get your bfp really soon. Good luck this cycle.

Found this article on sperm if anyone is interested...

Last weekend Boots the chemist began selling the SpermCheck Male Fertility Test (29.99). It's a home testing kit which allows men to test whether they have the a low or normal sperm count. The kit is as accurate as a lab test at identifying low or normal sperm count and it gives you clear results in the privacy of your own home in just 10 minutes. Before you try it, there's a few things you need to know...

1. The minimum sperm count required to get your partner pregnant is 20 million+ sperm per milliliter.

2. It takes 10 to 11 weeks for sperm to be produced, so making lifestyle changes now and testing your sperm in three months time will optimize your result.

3. Daily ejaculation encourages the production of newer healthier sperm and leads to a 12% drop in sperm DNA damage.

4. Male sperm counts decline with age. It takes a man over 45, five times longer to get his partner pregnant. Even older men who have very young wives (<25 years of age) take four times longer to impregnate their partners.

5. Research from Harvard School of Public Health confirms that eating certain vegetables and salads can improve sperm motility and sperm quality. Men who ate higher levels of beta-carotene, which is found in carrots, lettuce and spinach, and lutein, which is found in lettuce and spinach, had a 6.5% increase in sperm motility. Those who consumed higher levels of lycopene, which is found in tomatoes, had 1.7% improved sperm quality.

6. Research by Professor Jill Attaman from Harvard Medical School in Boston has linked a diet that is high in saturated fat to reduced sperm counts. In contrast, men who consumed more omega-3 fatty acids were found to have sperm with a more normal structure. Sardines, salmon, flax seeds and walnuts are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids and you might also want to add in an oral antioxidant such as vitamin E, L-carnitine, zinc or magnesium.

7. A meta analysis of existing research on male fertility found that couples were more likely to have a pregnancy, or live birth, if the man took certain vitamins or other antioxidants. Sperm count can be improved by a combination of zinc and folic acid. Low levels of vitamin C have been implicated in an abnormal sperm count.

8. Dehydration can also lead to reduced semen production. Semen is the watery fluid that protects and nourishes sperm cells and transports them during ejaculation. If there is not enough fluid, conception is less likely.

9. Keep cool. The testicles hang down from the body is so that they can maintain the cooler temperatures that are required for sperm production. Because it is not advisable to allow the testes to heat up by more than 1°C, long baths or Jacuzzis are not a good idea.

10. Nor is it a good idea to work with a laptop on your knee because the heat from the computer has been shown to increase scrotal temperature by 2.6°C within fifteen minutes. Rates of infertility among chefs are twice the UK average because of exposure to to intense heat and radiation from ovens.

maybe these links ref vitamins and fertility will be useful for someone, enjoy:
ht*p://www.parentherald.com/articles/36595/20160412/vitamin-d-linked-higher-ivf-success-rate.htm
ht*p://www.tribuneindia.com/news/chandigarh/pgi-doctors-ignore-health-hazards-eat-out-of-plastic-bags/214021.html
ht*p://www.eggdonationfriends.com/food-that-gives-fertility/
ht*p://www.mommyedition.com/top-10-fertility-foods-to-eat-when-you-are-trying-to-conceive
I wish you positive outcome x

8 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo