Community post

Journal

2 years TTC

Well here we are.... the end of last cycle marked 2 full years TTC. I had absolutely no clue it would be so difficult to conceive. I have learned so much and have a completely different outlook on little things that I really didn't give any real thought to previously. When/If DH and I conceive I will not "announce" on FB or social media. I will never again ask a couple if they plan to have kids. When someone is struggling - those little things are like a punch in the gut. You never know what someone is going through. We had a follow up appointment with our RE last week after the 3 failed IUIs and DH's super low counts at the 4th which resulted in the IUI being cancelled. It actually went pretty terribly. She told us IVF is likely our only option at this point. That is just not an option for us right now- financially. It's anywhere between $18-23K. I don't want to wait 2-3 years to save. I don't want to be having my first child at 35 and DH has 2 children from a previous marriage that are already 11 and 9 and we don't want that big of age gap between them as they are already 2 years older than we originally thought the gap would be (silly us). The appointment was left with a prescription of Clomid for 2 more months. After that she will not prescribe us (me) anymore Clomid. Hubby has to do a repeat SA to make sure his numbers are back up after his sickness (which they are pretty confident is what caused the rapid drop). We were finally able to get an appt. for later today for a SA. Unfortunately I am on CD8 so this cycle couldn't go ahead with Clomid/IUI. So looks like Nov/Dec will be our "last shot" with the medicated cycles. I am not sure where we will go from here if the next cycles are failures.

4 Comments • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Comments

Ask to try Femara.... If ivf isn't an option, you need a Dr that will continue the iui's until it works. I know women who have done tons of iui's, eventually seeing success. I don't understand why Dr.'s think they can call all the shots. I would ask to try Femara for a few cycles as well.

Mill

7 years ago

Fertility struggles often leave us in a state of cognitive dissonance. What to do with results, info, drs' opinions, own feelings and plans.....Definitely try the Femara and continue with whatever is financially feasible at this point. Prayers for guidance and peace of mind your way!

7 years ago

I did ask about Femara and also injectables. They said they wouldn't recommend injectibles for me due to cost and not a huge increase in success chances and "burning through my limited egg supply". She said we could try femara after Clomid but doesn't think it's as good as clomid and lacks confidence in my response to it. I was sort of numb after the appointment and trying not to cry and I now have several more questions that I didn't think to ask at the time. We will meet again after DHs SA so I've started a list.

7 years ago • Post starter

I think you would benefit from a second opinion. Injectables DO increase your chances, and Femara is less problematic than Clomid (lining issues). You can do treatment with it month after month without negative cumulative effects. "Burning through your limited egg supply" is a completely misleading statement. All injectables do is "rescue" those follicles that during the normal maturation process of the lead follicle go into atresia. The female body by design recruits a bunch of follicles before cycle start and only one is destined to become mature. The others "die". Rescuing them by adding the needed FSH (injectables) results in more mature follicles, and therefore more eggs, increasing your chances tremendously. I know all about cost but there are ways around this. Send me a message if you like.

7 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo