Community post

Question

I’m so confused??

I’m hoping someone can help. Me and my partner of 5 years have been trying for our first baby together since January (we have 3 kids between us from previous relationships) I’m 32 and he is 43. My cycle is usually 28-30 days long but last month was 36. Then when I had my period on 4th April, it was very dark blood for the first 2 days, bright red for 1 day and then back to dark/brown for the following 2 days. I haven’t been tracking ovulation with test etc so I’m unsure as to when I ovulated this month as last month was an unusually longer period. The last two days I’ve been having soreness on my left boob kind of behind the nipple and both boobs feel slightly fuller (not massively but enough to notice) my question is when would I test for pregnancy? Would I go by the ovulation prediction on my app based on my usual 28-30 day period or estimated ovulation based on the last 36 day long cycle? Might have to start using OPK tests so that I don’t have to do too much guess work.
I know this is a long post so I thank you for reading and any advice greatly appreciated

5 Answers • 5 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Hi there. If it was only one cycle that it was a 36days one, I think you shouldn’t count it as normal. If I were you I would count as ovulation day the one I usually know that I ovulate if my cycle is stable. After that I would wait at least 10 days past ovulation before I would take the first test just to be sure that I have implanted. Implantation usually occurs 6-12 days after ovulation. The pregnancy hormone needs 3-5 days to show in your urine, so 10dpo could still be too early. If you want to avoid extra stress I would suggest you to test after your missed period. If you cannot wait as the most of us then 10dpo is a good day to start! Good luck

User image

5 years ago

Thank you for your reply. Going by calculations I would be 5dpo today so at least another 5 to go! I’m not a very patient person and being 6-8 days late last month cost me a fortune! It’s just now that my boobs feel weird I’m starting to get excited. It’s been 8 years since I had my daughter I know the first symptom I had with her was sore boobs so definitely keeping my fingers crossed ????????

5 years ago • Post starter

I know exactly how long the tww can feel. I’m the kind of person that took tests as early as 3 dpo lol so I cannot judge anyone who tests early. I learned though that it’s better to see a clear line than a squinter. Not that I ever seen a line of my own but I now prefer to wait till later and maximize the chances to see a clearer line! I hope you get yours soon

User image

5 years ago

Thank you for your words of support I hope you get yours soon too, will keep my fingers crossed for you

5 years ago • Post starter

I think discounting that last cycle as your new normal is a good idea. It could have just been a fluke. What day do you normally ovulate on? I'd just count that many days from CD1 and then start counting DPO from there. Good luck! I'm also a POS addict so no judgement here. I find getting the internet cheapies a good way to justify testing so much lol!

5 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo