Community post

Question

Has anyone found that Adderall does in fact cause false negative HPTs?

I have seen several posts and some information online that if a woman is taking Adderall and uses a HPT, that the drug can effect the level of HCG in the urine, causing a false negative HPT. There is a lot of anecdotal references to this, but I had a hard time finding any reliable medical info about it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or, does anyone know any reliable info about this?

(and yes I know that this drug isn't preferable to be taking while pregnant... )

3 Answers • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

This was the most "reliable" response I could find in a quick search:

http://cranquis.tumblr.com/post/4217882850/hi-ive-always-had-add-and-was-finally-diagnosed

"I did a bunch of “drug information” reading on Adderall, since I had no idea about that “pregnancy test/Adderall” interaction before – I also spoke with my trusted pharmacist about it, and she did a search on Micromedex about it. We couldn’t find any data to back up that interaction claim (even though a Google search does lead to various non-medical forums such as WikiAnswers where people claim that Adderall DOES cause false-negative pregnancy tests– without giving any research to back up their claims). The drug info sheet says that “Adderall may interfere with urinary steroid determinations,” but since HCG is a protein and not a steroid, a urine pregnancy test (which checks for HCG, not for estrogen or progesterone which ARE steroids) should not be aff

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

9 years ago

Whoops! got cut off:

[continued]
should not be affected by Adderall. If you do a home urine pregnancy test at least 2 weeks after your missed period, if you do it properly following all the instructions, and it says negative, I think you can be 95%+ sure that you’re not pregnant.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

9 years ago

Yes, that is all just about exactly what I found out. I'm not late yet, just getting these quirky half positives one day and negatives the next then back to half positive again.... I'll keep testing. Thanks for looking into it!

9 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo