Community post

Discussion

Blood type linked to infertility??

Okay, this might sound a bit wacky but, here goes. I am 30 yrs old, I have PCOS, and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for over 10 months. During my late night perusal of the vast information on fertility/infertility on the internet, I came across something I thought was very interesting. I found several links to articles about women with type-O blood having fertility problems. Especially women with O negative blood.

Has anyone else heard of this? Experienced this?

User Image

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Googling is so dangerous! I did a quick literature search and came up with a few things. In summary it looks like overall there is no significant link between O blood types and infertility so those of us with an O blood type can breathe a sigh of relief :)

This site wont let me publish links so if interested in looking at the abstracts then you will need to go to the ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed website and search for the artivle IDs which I have noted for each reference.

I found a couple of articles investigating the link between blood type O and ovarian reserve. This one found that those with blood type O were no more likely to have diminished ovarian reserve. (Pubmed ID 24055049). Another article (pubmed ID 21708793) has the opposite finding, that those with blood type O are twice as likely to have diminished ovarian reserve. The former seems to be a better controlled study, however (although there is only full text for the second article available for free).

Another article looked specifically at the link between a different blood typing system and infertility and did find a link, but for the ABO blood typing we are more familiar with there was no difference between the fertile and infertile group. (Pubmed ID 9692538).

The blood type O is associated more often with platelet disorders. Although the article doesn't explicitly state it, as platelets are involved in clotting this could mean it is associated with clotting disorders too. I know that some miscarriages are caused by clotting disorders so perhaps a link there? Very tenuous though so that one would need more investigation. (Pubmed ID 23347697).

10 years ago

I love this! I am also a compulsive researcher after two consecutive loses at 5 weeks. I am ALSO blood type O, but I'm positive.

Negative blood types in general can have RH factor issues, and I'm sure you've looked into it, but your husband's blood type needs to be considered too.

My OB told me to start on 1 a day baby aspirin after my most recent loss (1/27), which helps with the whole clotting factor issue. We'll see if it works. Keep hunting OP! Good luck!!!

BFP#1 9.1.11 EDD 5.16.12 MC 9.15.11 <3

10 years ago

If you are negative and your dh is positive you have an rh incompatibility factor. That is how I lost my son at 28 weeks. If you are negative make sure dhis as well. My daughter and son's father's are rh+. My spouse now is A- (same exact type as I am). It will cause you to have losses and with each pregnancy your antibodies will increase. I had mine tested on 1/27/13 (4.5 years after I lost my son) and they were 1:64. This shows I was sensitized and my chances of having another rh+ baby is <5%. Pretty much 0%. My losses kept getting sooner and sooner so the first thing that they thought was my antibodies. After dh had a blood test to show his type the antibodies had to be ruled out since they can't attack a rh- pregnancy. After everything I have been through I hate for women to not realize this and end up in my shoes. Hope all goes well.

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo