Community post

Question

Having a Saline Ultrasound tomorrow. Any advice on what to expect?

I've read that it's nowhere near as painful as the HSG I had a few months ago, but I've read that it can be. Wondering what any of you lovely ladies that have experienced it thought about it and what I can do to make it less painful or what-have-you..? Please and thank you in advance!

AP Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius User Image

4 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

They're pretty painful for me. Take motrin or aleve about 45 minutes prior. It only lasts for a few moments and once they're done, if there is pain (which there might not be) it will stop when they stop the procedure. I've never had any residual cramping, but you do leak saline for a bit afterwards, so wear a pantyliner.

Me: 45, unexplained (but now ancient) Husband: 46 (perfect in every way) Married 21 years 1 daughter born 07/2011 after TTC for 12 years

10 years ago

I've had two and thankfully they weren't very painful, just uncomfortable like a period cramp. They let me watch what they were doing on the ultrasound monitor which I think helped because I knew what was happening. Also I took a sedative (oxazepam) beforehand which helped me relax and not 'resist' with my pelvic floor muscles. Tensing up is part of the problem. Perhaps they might consider letting you have a medication like this. Make sure you take it at least 45mins beforehand so you know it's working. Hash, and try not to hold your breath like I do...tenses your muscles too. Hugs xo

10 years ago

I had this test a month ago and was pleasantly surprised that I did not have any pain (just discomfort). After having painful hsg tests I was worried. Good luck tomorrow

User Image

10 years ago

He ended up not being able to do it. The second the balloon touched my cervix I doubled over and almost passed out. It felt like a dagger going from my cervix to the top of my head. Meeting with him on Wednesday to set up laparoscopy. Still gonna keep trying until then since O is due the 18th. He's concerned cos I've been between light bleeding to spotting the past week and AF started the 2nd. Thanks again for all of the responses!!

AP Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but you will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. - Marcus Aurelius User Image

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo