Community post

Question

Short period, early ovulation?

Hello ladies! So my question is if my period is shorter than normal, does that mean that ovulation might come sooner? I started spotting then light bleeding on the evening of April 29th, and I stopped bleeding last night on May 3rd making this period 4/5ish days, and I'm used to 6-8 day periods. I thought for sure that AF was going to make another grand entrance today, so I prepared myself with stuffing tampons and pads in my purse, and I got nothing. I checked my cervix and it was low, soft and I believe closed. My cycles are usually 33-35 days. I've been temping, and I'll be checking my cm now since I believe my period is completely done. I'll also be picking up ovulation tests tomorrow, just to make sure I don't miss my O. I'd love to hear y'all's opinions on why my period might have been shorter and if ovulation could possibly come sooner. Wishing everyone baby dust!

6 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Answers

I don't believe the length of time you bleed for has any bearing whatsoever on the cycle day you ovulate. Certainly in my own experience I haven't found any link between the length of my period and the day I ovulate. I usually bleed for about four days and have ovulated anywhere from CD9 to CD31 with that length. I have had times where I bled for only two days and still ovulated around CD19, or bled for 5 days and ovulated around CD15. It is common to bleed for varying lengths of time. It just depends on how think your lining was and how fast it sheds. Each cycle can be different.

10 years ago

Thank you so much! I googled it and it gave me a lot of different answers, left me more confused. It was definetly nice to have a shorter period though. Watch the witch show up again tomorrow, lol.

10 years ago • Post starter

I bleed for 3 days, have a day off then bleed again for one more day always have, prob always will and have gotten preg 7 times xx

10 years ago

At Tottie- this usually happens to me too, my period decreases to almost nothing where I think I'm done then starts again. But this period is different I usually start bleeding again by now, no cramping nothing. When I checked my cervix I didn't have any spotting either. I just thought it was odd.

10 years ago • Post starter

4 months ago I had a very different cycle than usually. My period lasts about 5 days normally. That time only 2 days. On the third day I had my day 3 ultrasound and was told I had a cyst. On that same day 3 I experienced EWCM. I thought not much about it because I had been told I had a cyst. But sure enough, 3 days later I could see on my BBT chart that I had ovulated. My dr. barely believed it but the progesterone test taken confirmed it. So , to conclude this: the "cyst" had in reality been a follicle, and I had ovulated on day 5 whereas I normally ovulate on day 14. Also, my period was extremely short during this weird cycle. From that point on I have been paying very close attention to my EWCM as an indicator for fertility. I hope my story helps.

10 years ago

My periods have always been super short, between 1-3 days in length and my cycles were usually 22-25 days long. After my first child, I had no period for 9 months, and since then my cycles have been erratic. So I'm trying to get pregnant, figured that my last 3 cycles were about 30 days and tried to just go on that, and so far it hasn't worked. My most recent period was 6/27 with spotting/light bleeding 6/28 and so I decided to do ovulation test strips to figure it out, and today (6/29) was the first test day, and I have a faint ovulation line. (This explains a lot for me btw) So I believe it is possible that shorter periods can be related to earlier ovulation.

(Just wanted to leave this info here for future reference to this question)

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo