Community post

Journal

Update: 5 weeks pregnant and going cold turkey

Feeling surprisingly good...and it's freaking me out. Still have a solid BFP with test line darker than control line (hcg should be in the 1000's now). I just remember having symptoms really early with Oscar. I know I was really nauseous, but I don't remember when that started. I know it ended around 9 wks. I've had one day of nausea, that's it. I'm not sensitive to smells and I remember I was a lot back then. I haven't had a single headache for the past week, and my last pregnancy was like one big migraine from day one (thankful if that little symptom stays away). I'm a little bit crampy and feel my uterus constantly (I call it my hot ball of lead), which makes me want to pee more often. I'm not super irritable or super weepy. I know that every pregnancy is different, and I know that symptoms usually don't start till 6wks or later, but I'm just going to be paranoid till I see the heartbeat on May 16 (hopefully.) I googled it (of course, don't we all) and at 5 wks, your body has adjusted to the beginning hormone surge and a waning of symptoms is common. It'll apparently all come back next week or so with the next surge.

Otherwise, I've been staying healthy and I quit my occasional smoking cold turkey 2 wks ago. Last week was hard, not going to lie. I had to distract myself a lot. But this week, not so much. I didn't smoke that much anyway, so probably not that addicted. It was mostly when I drank or socialized. I called myself a "Cocktail Smoker" - only with other people and only after 5pm.

People can be very judgmental, but yes, I did smoke while TTC. The fact is, I'm 42 and I've been TTC for almost 3 yrs - the odds of me being successful were astronomically slim. I knew I'd quit if I got a positive, but I wasn't going to stop living beforehand, especially since a cigarette with a glass of wine 2 or 3 times a week wasn't a big deal and made me happy.

I do miss my wine...sigh...but again, not a big loss. It's hard to be around drinkers and smokers though - my sister is getting married in two weeks and there are going to be numerous parties and get-togethers where I'm gonna end up D-Driver. I hate drunk people when I'm sober. It's easier when you are farther along, but in the beginning when you don't really even feel pregnant, it's tough to stay on track. Have to keep my eye on the prize...

3 Comments • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Comments

Good for you for going cold turkey! :) Are you telling family early on or waiting a bit? Wondering if people are going to be suspicious at the wedding if you're not enjoying cocktails or a cig! I always hated the weeks where we weren't telling people until we get confirmation there was at least a heartbeat.

<a href=

6 years ago

Congrats on quitting cold turkey. That must have been really hard for you but I know you can do it . That was my goal when I got pregnant the first time was to quit before I got pregnant and haven't looked back and that was roughly 3-4 years ago.

User image[/url]

6 years ago

I told my immediate family (sisters and parents) already because my sister is coming from out of town to get married here. She arrives this weekend. If I waited till then, it would all be about me and I really didn't want to distract from her wedding. Plus, I can't hide it. I'm too much of a drinker normally - you called it @ericalee. Luckily, our first u/s is before the wedding so if anyone else notices, I won't mind telling if I have a healthy u/s under my belt. We're telling our kids on mother's day. They already suspect. They think I've had a stomach bug for two weeks lol.

6 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo