Community post

Discussion

Sperm Count and Health and 2nd BDs in an hour - OMG.

Ok, so I don't think my DH has a sperm count issue, but he won't go get analyzed again (the last time was a few years ago and he hated the process.) He was fine back then, but he's a smoker and 40 and chances are, not shooting out the healthiest swimmers. I've tried him on vitamins and exercise, and healthy eating to improve chances, but this month we might have unintentionally been doing something really great and I had no idea! I'm 2dpo right now and all last week, we BD'd nearly every day and DH was unusually frisky - at least 3 of those BD times before I ovulated, we managed to get him to ejaculate twice in one hour.

I was curious today if the second time was the same quality or worse, and if doing it twice so quickly actually increased our chances at all, so I googled it. What a Rabbit Hole! Google "second ejaculate sperm count" and you'll get a ton of studies on this.

Guess what??! The second ejaculation in an hour typically has less volume, but actually MORE sperm, with BETTER motility, and BETTER quality - like between 2-4 times more! In fact, fertility doctors are now giving this method to low sperm count men - to try to ejaculate twice back to back to drastically improve their chances to conceive, or using a 2nd specimen collected in a short amount of time to do IVF because of better quality sperm.

I feel like my mind has been blown. That's fantastic! I mean, not all of our partners have sperm count issues, and I'm pretty sure I have dusty old eggs, but when you're TTC for a long time and you can't afford ART or IVF, any little advantage helps! I'm totally going to push for DH to try for that second time every BD during fertile week now. Hopefully it helped us this month.

Does everyone know this but me? Has anyone else heard this from their RE? Anyone get pregnant successfully and attribute it (fully or partially) to multiple ejaculations in a short span of time?

4 Replies • 6 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

Wow... mind blown. Never heard of this. It seems like it could ring true cause i got pregnant last month and when we bd'd, we had sex and 10min later bd again
We never do it back to back. We're both almost 40. He's a heavy smoker, drinks beer, eats only processed foods. Ik, ik. I get on him all the time.
He was taking multi, extra zinc, black maca.
Me:red maca, coq10, vit b complex, prenatal, royal jelly, preseed.
I wonder if all that stuff really helped or if it was his multiple orgasms?

6 years ago

Right?? WOW! The implications... I thought I'd read everything, but this was completely new info. It could totally have been his multiple orgasms! Apparently the 1st one cleans out the tubes, but the real winners are in the 2nd lol. I'm so excited now! 8 more days till testing....

6 years ago • Post starter

Haha! I knew it because when I first ovulated PP in Oct, we’d BDed prior to any inclination I was going to O and he had like 2 back to back and so I googled. (My luteal phase was like 7 days first time so we were safe anyway but yeah, we were gonna try that approach when we were actively ttc but baby had other plans. Hope it works for you guys. I’m closely see good news

6 years ago

Very interesting! I had no idea!! So glad I was just creeping on your page LOL... thank you so much for sharing this. This past cycle, my bf and I bd'd twice in the same day - at 10am then again at 8pm - I wonder if his 8pm sperm were better than his 10am sperm? ANd that was the day I got my positive opk! Hmmmm, my bbs feel a bit sore today - I'm about 5 or 6dpo - this is giving me more hope even though mine wasn't within an hour....

6 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo