Community post

Question

What do follicles look like on ultrasound? Any experienced ladies explain?

Hi, I had a pelvic ultrasound on cycle day 13. I am ttc naturally, no meds. My left ovary was insignificant with not much to see - no lumps or bumps, a pretty grainy uniform image. My right ovary showed a round black circle 1.88mm in diameter with an identical circle right next to it. The tech said that one was the follicle I would ovulate from in a day or so and the other was a blood vessel. I'm confused it truly looked like two follicles to me and I don't know what was making him say the other was a blood vessel (wouldn't that make it a pretty big blood vessel?). I didn't see any black circles on the left ovary which would suggest a matching blood vessel on that side.

I'm now 3dpo and I'm sure I ovulated about 32 hours after the scan because my left lower side started aching and is still aching. I usually do get O pains but these have been pretty intense. What do you think one or two eggs? I'm hoping if it's two maybe one will at least fertilise.

Thanku :)

3 Answers • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

Whoops I should have said 1.88cm :)

9 years ago • Post starter

Follicles do look like circles as you describe it. I would assume the technician is knowledgeable about how many true follicle he is seeing. But I have to say that in 16 months worth of ultrasounds I have never run across a blood vessel looking like a follicle. I am sorry that I can't be of more help here. In any event, I wish you the best of luck this cycle whether it was one or two eggs. Best wishes and the Lord's blessings.

9 years ago

Thanks Phillips, I knew I could rely on you! I'm pretty sure it was two follicles, they were side by side and identical in appearance. Time will tell what the result of this cycle will be but it's going to be probably the longest wait ever! I seriously don't know how ladies doing iui or ivf can handle the suspense and disappointment over and over. I hope you are feeling and doing well! :)

9 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo