Community post

Question

Sex while on period

Has anyone on here gotten pregnant while on their period?

4 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

I personally have not (I find the idea a bit gross) but I've met 2 or 3 women who swear that's how they got pregnant. They were trying to avoid pregnancy by having intercourse they were "least" fertile (that's what they believed, anyway). I suppose if they were telling the truth, everyone TTC should be "trying" during their period!

TTC #1 since Oct. 2011 MC @ 6 weeks, Mar. 2015 (suspected - never confirmed) MC @ 16 weeks, July 2015 CP Oct. 2015 Nov. 13, 2015 @ 15 DPO! for a rainbow baby!

10 years ago

I'm sure someone has, but it's not common. Typically ovulation happen 12-15 days before your period begins and your fertile window is only 5-6 days pre-ovulation and 1 day post ovulation. Some women with very short cycles may ovulate right after their period ends so I suppose some sperm may still be alive in there. They say sperm can live up to 5 days in very fertile cervical mucus, but I wouldn't think menstrual bleeding would be very fertile.

10 years ago

It's completely possible... though I don't have any firsthand experience. Certainly I have sometimes ovulated around CD 8 or 9 so my fertile window would sometimes include some AF time. I seem to remember a study that concluded that there was no time of the cycle that could be completely excluded in terms of conception... but that during AF the chances were much lower. Think of it like a bell chart with the peak around the middle of the month. The obvious conclusion is that unless you can be 100% sure that you ovulate at the same time every single cycle like clockwork (and we can all be wrong!), the best advice is to have sex every 2-3 days throughout your cycle. You might prefer to wait until you are not in full flow - or not! It's a matter of personal choice between you and your collaborator. ;-)

5 years TTC. Endometriosis and adenomyosis. Surgery. 2 IVFs. No joy. Low ovarian reserve. Is there any real hope? DE IVF = next step. Much higher success rates, but so used to things not working, it's hard to feel too hopeful. Wishing others an easier time.

10 years ago

Thank you all for your advice.

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo