Community post

Discussion

Blighted Ovum - which route to take

My last lmp was 08.10.14 and possibly ovulated cd 19 or just after. Got my bfp on 03.11.14 very light. After seeing a 3+ Weeks later thought everything would be fine.

Went docs a few weeks later because I was going dizzy, he said I had vertigo which I have had before. I'd not had no bleeding or pains but because I was pregnant wanted to make sure things where progressing ok so sent me for an early scan

My early scan results

26.11.14 - shows small anechoic fluid filled region withing the fundal uterine cavity measuring 12x9x3. Sac or decidual reaction. No evidence of yolk or fetal Hermorragagic cyst?? right ovary - please reassess

27.11.14 TV scan preformed the uterus outlines normally. The echo poor area within the endometrial cavity measures 14x13x9mm. Good decidual reaction seen around the sac. No evidence of fetal pole or yolk sac to early?? Both ovaries appear normal no evidence of cyst or free fluid - early pregnancy

01.12.14 TV scan preformed Anteverted uterus containing gestation sac measuring 18x9x17 = 11mm approx 5 weeks 4 days. No fetal pole or yolk. Seen. Adjacent to the sac there is a 16x15x6mm area of low level echoes suggest of a bleed. Right ovary again contains a 20x21x18mm we'll defined homogenous echogenic area, haemorrhagic cyst

08.12.14 uterus contains single gestation sac 19.9mm 6 wks 3 days. no evidence of fetal pole or yolk. Adjacent to the sac is low level reflectivity most likely Heaemotoma. Right ovary contains well defined area of high reflectivity most likely endometrioma

15.12.14 Anteverted uterus with an intrauterine gestation sac 17.2x19.1x21mm =19.2mm 6 wks 3 days. no evidence of yolk or fetal pole. Appearances suggest blighted ovum. Small area of mixed echos seen adjacent to the sac 12.5x11.9? Small haematoma. Both ovaries seen and appear normal

Normally when they do the TV scan they put a foam cushion under your bum but the last lady who did the scan told me to use my hands asked loads of questions then said it's blighted ovum.

I then saw my epacs nurse, she said there's been no growth in a week after good growths and nothing in sac so gave me 3 choices, natural miscarry at home, tablets or d&c

Has anyone got any advice on which is easiest, I've signed forms for home miscarrying and go for scan Monday see if sacs shrunk more and if not she suggests another method as said could take ages.

I'm worried as got no bleeding or cramps but don't wasn't it to go on forever but don't want to give up either xx

19 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 19 Replies | Last Page

Oh sweetheart. I had a blighted ovum in 2009 and it was the most drawn out thing ever. So disappointing. It was so painful having to get on with my life between repeat scans and knowing I was pregnant with no happy ending.

I'm going to tell you my whole experience in the hope that you can relate and it might help you through this.

I had my first scan which I begged for at around 6.5 weeks because I just couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. I described it at the time as feeling like 'the lights were on but there's no one at home'. I had no pregnancy symptoms at all. I felt fine physically. I only discovered the pregnancy when my period was two days late and I got the faintest of faintest bfp's.

Basically I kept being sent home because the sac didn't reach the critical size to confirm blighted ovum until 9.5 weeks. I was booked for a d&c at 8weeks but the doctor cancelled as I was wheeled into theatre she said she wasn't satisfied as even though the sac was completely empty it was a couple millimetres in size off off being conclusive. I had yet another scan and was rebooked at 10 weeks.

I googled misdiagnosed blighted ovum like a mad person looking for any hope but obviously it didn't help. :(

My sac had started to 'collapse' by 10 weeks and the whole time it showed an area of haemotoma beside it which was where they said the pregnancy was starting to break down. My hcg was 39000 but it had taken a week to reach that as my previous count was 32000. I had no spotting at all though. I was given the option of miscarrying at home naturally or having the d&c.

They discouraged natural miscarriage strongly. (We don't have the option of medication induced miscarriage here). They said they would respect it if I wanted a natural miscarriage but even though things looked like my body was starting to recognise the pregnancy wasn't viable that a blighted ovum can often take 14 weeks to naturally miscarry. I didn't feel that my body was going to expell the pregnancy any time soon! My belly was starting to grow!

They said that a natural miscarriage at 10 + weeks could be very painful and lead to heavy bleeding and I would likely wind up back in hospital anyway. I was so desperate at that point to have it all over with I booked the d&c. It turns out it was definitely the right decision for me as it was discovered 2 years later that I have a bleeding disorder and things could have gone terribly wrong!

The d&c itself was pretty simple but you need to make your own decision here as it it is not without it's own risks. I woke from the anaesthetic crying because I wasn't pregnant anymore and part of me was still holding hope and also because it was finally over! The rude nurse said what are you sooking for and I said two words (jam it!). Funny, another nurse took over my care :/.

I had a few days of bleeding after the d&c but not much pain. The blood was a watery pink and was mostly gone after the first night. I was told not to have sex for two weeks (no worries there) and I got my first period 4 weeks later. My hcg took about 4 weeks to drop to zero which felt like forever. I then ovulated two weeks later and fell pregnant again! Sadly I also felt something wasn't right and I miscarried naturally at home prior to six weeks. I did ovulate two weeks later again and fell pregnant yet again. This time I just knew it would be ok and it was and I had a beautiful baby girl.

Wow, that was a mouthful, I've never detailed my experience before it's just that your story sounds so similar to mine. Did they explain how long it can take to miscarry naturally. If you have no medical conditions maybe you should consider the medication to prompt miscarriage? The trouble is if you don't pass all the products you could wind up with an infection and need a d&c anyway which would be worse. It is a tough call I know.

My heart goes out to you and I hope this is over for you very soon. Hugs.

9 years ago

By the way, if I'm right you're about 9 weeksish? If so your baby should be roughly the size of a grape by now so should be clearly visible. :(

9 years ago

Thank you Hun for sharing your story with me, I really appreciate that and sorry this happened to you too.

I opted for the home management one - miscarrying on it's own to give me a week to get my head around things and talk to the other half because she wanted me to sign the paperwork that day of my last scan.

By my lmp I should of been 9 weeks but at my very first scan they put me back 2 weeks and I wasn't too concerned at the time because I ovulated a little later like cd 19ish. The next weeks scans the sac was growing appropriately like it should have been so again she said not to worry things are progressing. Deep down in my mind I knew something was wrong. The 3rd scan when my sac was 19mm and empty she again said it had grown according and I was 6 weeks 3 days, but Monday just gone was when the sac was measuring the same dates from the previous scan she said blighted ovum, it should have been 7 by their dates.

I'm getting another scan on Monday 29th to find out how much the sac has shrunk, and what to do next for the next step. She said I can sign and say I want to keep the home one again and get over Christmas before making another decision.

I don't mind letting nature take is course but it's the not knowing when it will start to happen that is scaring me, will it be at home, work, when I'm shopping I'm never going to know Maybe when I go on Monday and see the sac shrinking I can come to terms then that it's over and opt for the dnc just after Christmas and try and get my body pack to normal if it dosent happen sooner.

She also said if I wanted to take the medical management is take my first course of tablets that day to reverse my hormones then I go in hospital 2 days later just to get monitored for the day then take the next course.

I can't wait for Monday to come sooner just to see that sac on the screen and know it's still empty before jumping into any other decisions so soon, my head already knows but my heart is praying for a miracle xx

9 years ago • Post starter

Sorry next scan is Monday coming 22nd just before Christmas put the wrong date in there x

I am so sorry that your pregnancy is not progressing properly. I have had both and natural miscarriage at home and one induced by taking the misoprostol.

I think the natural route is better - but sadly our bodies don't always cooperate. The time I took the misoprostol I ended up having retained tissue but fortunately my body was able to dispel it with acupuncture. My body did not want to let go of that little bean.

There seems to be advantages and disadvantages with each method, so I don't want to say which would be the right one for you. However, if you are trying the natural route - I would suggest acupuncture as a method to help quicken things along.

Lots of hugs to you as you make you decision. I hope that things happen quickly for you.

Peace and love
A

User Image

9 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience and advice ladies shame it's on a board like this one :0(, I've got ultrasound this morning to confirm that the sac is shrinking and to pick the next method of ending this. I honestly thought my body would start the natural miscarrage this week but still no signs of cramping and bleeding, so I'm probably going to have to use another method.

If all is good and the sac has started to shrink I may wait another week to get over Christmas and see if it happens naturally, and if not then decide on the next route.

Once again thank you ladies and I will let yous know the outcome of today xxx

Update!!!

Just a update for yous that spent the time to leave me messages and advice from your experience.

Went the hospy this morning 11.15 and there was no change in size of sac from the previous week, had the tv scan. Opted for the tablets which I would have started next Monday.

Came home and 2 hours later started loosing pink discharge. Then at 21.00 tonight started loosing brown mucus. By 11.30pm the bleeding has started with minimal cramps and back ache, so my body had finally realised this is not a viable pregnancy and looks like it's going to manage it itself.

I'm quite angry and emotional like anyone would be, but so grateful it's finally happening so I can start fresh knowing this pregnancy wasn't anything but a sac.

Thanks again ladies, much appreciated and hope you all have a lovely Xmas xx

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I wish you a speedy recovery. I fell pregnant right after my blighted ovum experience and I hope you do to. Merry Christmas and hopefully a baby filled new year! :)

9 years ago

I am really sorry for your loss :-( I hope the process goes a smoothly as it can. Anger is perfectly understandable. I am sure you already had hopes and dreams for your new little life. I wish you a peaceful holiday and I hope the new year brings you a healthy little bean. Take Care
A

User Image

9 years ago

Thank you all for such caring replies. It's here with vengeance at the minute so hopefully it won't be a very log and painful process. Feminax is my new best friend today, they seem to be working a treat. The pains mainly coming from my back and sides and nothing from my front, could be the painkillers helping :0)

Just took some cheap hcg tests and opk and they are both as strong so my hcg must have been super high, think 5 weeks ago it was 24000 so hopefully when I ring and tell hospy it's actually definitely here they will take them again to check they are lowering quickly xx

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo