Community post

Discussion

Blighted Ovum - which route to take

View Full Post

My last lmp was 08.10.14 and possibly ovulated cd 19 or just after. Got my bfp on 03.11.14 very light. After seeing a 3+ Weeks later thought everything would be fine.

Went docs a few weeks later because I was going dizzy, he said I had vertigo which I have had before. I'd not had no bleeding or pains but because I was pregnant wanted to make sure things where progressing ok so sent me for an early scan

My early scan results

26.11.14 - shows small anechoic fluid filled region withing the fundal uterine cavity measuring 12x9x3. Sac or decidual reaction. No evidence of yolk or fetal Hermorragagic cyst?? right ovary - please reassess

27.11.14 TV scan preformed the uterus outlines normally. The echo poor area within the endometrial cavity measures 14x13x9mm. Good decidual reaction seen around the sac. No evidence of fetal pole or yolk sac to early?? Both ovaries appear normal no evidence of cyst or free fluid - early pregnancy

01.12.14 TV scan preformed Anteverted uterus containing gestation sac measuring 18x9x17 = 11mm approx 5 weeks 4 days. No fetal pole or yolk. Seen. Adjacent to the sac there is a 16x15x6mm area of low level echoes suggest of a bleed. Right ovary again contains a 20x21x18mm we'll defined homogenous echogenic area, haemorrhagic cyst

08.12.14 uterus contains single gestation sac 19.9mm 6 wks 3 days. no evidence of fetal pole or yolk. Adjacent to the sac is low level reflectivity most likely Heaemotoma. Right ovary contains well defined area of high reflectivity most likely endometrioma

15.12.14 Anteverted uterus with an intrauterine gestation sac 17.2x19.1x21mm =19.2mm 6 wks 3 days. no evidence of yolk or fetal pole. Appearances suggest blighted ovum. Small area of mixed echos seen adjacent to the sac 12.5x11.9? Small haematoma. Both ovaries seen and appear normal

Normally when they do the TV scan they put a foam cushion under your bum but the last lady who did the scan told me to use my hands asked loads of questions then said it's blighted ovum.

I then saw my epacs nurse, she said there's been no growth in a week after good growths and nothing in sac so gave me 3 choices, natural miscarry at home, tablets or d&c

Has anyone got any advice on which is easiest, I've signed forms for home miscarrying and go for scan Monday see if sacs shrunk more and if not she suggests another method as said could take ages.

I'm worried as got no bleeding or cramps but don't wasn't it to go on forever but don't want to give up either xx

19 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

11 - 19 of 19 Replies

My heart is breaking for you. I think my hcg took four weeks to fall to zero from 39000 and I ovulated two weeks later. When I had my natural miscarriage the pain and bleeding was over within about twelve hours and then I just had smudgy spotting for a couple of days like a normal period tapering off. Just because there is no baby to see doesn't mean there was never one there it just didn't grow big enough. I was angry too. It was my second miscarriage that brought all the sadness. There's no reason that you'll miscarry again tho. The thing about blighted ovum miscarriage is all the waiting, it's such a drawn out process. I hope you feel much better soon and are back on track to fall pregnant again. Hugs.

9 years ago

Hya Maggic I think mine would of been high I was suppose to be 10 weeks I'm not sure. The sac was 22mm on Monday

Woke up at 330am this morning cramping back to front and knew I was heavy before I even got out of bed. Anyways cut a long story short I've just passed the sac, just glad I was at home at the time where I can be comfortable and spend the next hour in the bathroom.

I'm gonna phone the nurse today and let her know, shel probs still scan me Monday to make sure everything has passed

I'll definitely be trying again once I'm out of this mess and everything's back to normal, but gonna speak to doc and see what he suggests. I had 2 early miscarriages end of 2012 then beginning 2013, never had a cycle and fell with my son who's healthy and 1 year old. This year July onwards had 2 chemicals and now had this blighted ovum, I'm just worried same will happen again now xx

9 years ago • Post starter

After my two miscarriages I started taking baby aspirin on the recommendation of my sisters ivf doctor. I've taken it through my last two pregnancies no problem. While I'm trying to conceive I start taking it at about two days after I ovulate. I'm a bit scared to take it in the first half of my cycle because antiinflamatories can interfere with ovulation. I can only get 100mg here as the lowest aspirin dose so I've been taking that. I think the official dose is 81mg but the commercial baby aspirin is 75mg.

I think it's worth a try if you don't already as after miscarriage the theory is our bodies can mount an inflammatory response to pregnancy and send tiny micro clots to the forming placenta and cause miscarriage. It can't do any harm and you take it until about 36 weeks so the aspirin doesn't potentially thin the blood for delivery but some woman keep taking it until birth I think.

I have been told it's unnecessary by a doctor during my last pregnancy but as he had never miscarried :/ I decided it was my decision as it can't hurt. You have my best wishes moving forward. Don't let your experiences put you off ttc again. Work with your doctor but try as soon as you're ready. I don't think your body would ovulate and let implantation occur unless pregnancy was possible. Stay strong you are doing amazingly well even when you feel like a lost cause on the inside! x

9 years ago

When I had my first 2 early miscarriages I was on nothing but pregnicare vitamins, and when I fell with my son my doctor told me to take asprin so I was on that all the way through my pregnancy and carried really well, no symptoms apart from odd little bit of bleeding and cramping but was all well with pregnancy and no sickness, I was lucky as I was symptom free and everything went well with him :0)

My 2 chemicals this year I wouldn't of known about if I didn't have thie early pregnancy tests at hand so I'm not worried about them one day was postive then two days later negative

This time I prepared myself vitamins and asprin whilst ovulating and was overjoyed when I found out, which was early at 8dpo. I really thought I was on track tests getting dark, clearblue changing as should be, but I did notice it took a while longer to get the 3+ But only by a week and everything started progressing.

Must admit was a shock to not see anything in the sac 5 weeks on the trot, with a lovely sac growing as should be, but I believe everything happens for a reason deep down, even tho it's heartbreaking To go through. I didn't even know what a blighted ovum was until I started on the internet with empty sac. It's nice to know everyone supports one another and I'm really shocked how common a blight ovum actually is

I'm hoping things are settling now because the cramping has settled down a bit, and glad I passed the worst bits at home.

What us ladies go through. xx

Hi Tweetster,

Did everything resolve ok? I have been thinking about your. I hope you were able to have some joy over the holidays. I just wanted to say happy new years - hoping for BFPS

A

User Image

9 years ago

Hya Hun I had a scan on Wednesday just gone, the week after the actual miscarriage and she said that the scan shows I have passed the main sac and placenta, which she sent off last week after I passed it to see if there was anything inside that they have missed. She also said it's showing rpoc, which is retained products of conception, so have a little bit off tissue left inside of uterus. She said to watch for any sign of smell, pain or feverish as could start infection but happy to leave me for another week to see if it passes in that time frame. If not and things are still ok she said could come out with af next time round.

Thanks for asking Hun and happy new year to you too, hope you've had a lovely Christmas. Lil man has kept me sane the last 2 weeks as he is only 1 so I suppose that's been a bonus and got me through xxx

I am going through the same thing right now. It's probably too late for my response but I DO NOT RECOMMEND the medication. They gave me Misoprostol and it didn't completely work so now I may need a D&C anyways. Personally, I just want the whole thing over with and feel like I should have just scheduled the D&C to begin with. There is NO WAY I would be able to just sit and wait for a natural miscarriage when I know it's coming. My doctor also said that there can be many risks with waiting for a natural miscarriage. I am sorry for you loss and I hope we all get our rainbow babies soon!

Colton "Casually" TTC #2 Go Bills!

9 years ago

I am going thru an oblighted ovum right now i wasnt given the option to have a d and c ( as i had already started to clot and my body has naturally been going thru the natural process ) so sorry ur going thru this i have had bad cramps since i started my process but i have pain meds which help i will say a prayer for ur that both of our processes dont take long to go thru

9 years ago

So so sorry to hear you are both going through the process of a blighted ovum, my heart goes out to you both :0(

Malpal I don't know how I coped myself waiting it out to be honest, I think I was just hoping week by week that they would actually see something and I didn't make a decision I would regret. Looking back now I should have did something at week 7 rather than hoping for a miracle and waiting out to be told at 9 1-2 weeks it was definitely a blighted ovum. I think I was hearing things that they could be hope by the hospital until the sac reached 20mm.

I had he scan Monday 22nd when it was confirmed a definite blighted ovum and opted for the tablets the week after Christmas as hubby works away and didn't want to be bad with my lil son. But happened naturally Christmas Eve 24th, I passed the sac and clots that day and was heavy for about a week. Bleeding then died off and spotted brown till 5th Jan. 14 days from start to finish I'd say my body feels a little back to normal with no spotting or anything.

Its a horrible, nasty and selfish thing to happen to us and there's no real answer to why :0( hope yous have a speedy recovery and all the support yous need

The hospital sent my sac off and I got the results back last week that there was definitely no baby in the sac or any start of a baby just fluid. Had another scan and the tissue that was still there had also vanished xxx

Hopefully all of us going through this vicious cycle have good news and a rainbow baby to come in the future xx

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo