Community post

Discussion

Opposition from family about ttc

Is anyone else dealing with opposition or unkind words from family members about you trying to conceive?

I have two family members in particular (both women who have had 3+ children themselves) who are very vocal about me and my husband not having children. I am 24 my husband is 27 and we have been married for 4 years, so they can't assume that we are too young to have children. We aren't not a wealthy couple but we have the space and adequate funding for a child, so I don't understand why they would take this stance. My dh is very supportive and we know that ultimately it is our decision, but it is difficult. It's made me incredibly "closed-liped" with family and friends, hoping that by not telling people, we can avoid negative opinions.

Anyone else having to deal with this? How do you cope? How do you continue to keep family relations peaceful when rifts are formed?

Kat  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  BabyFruit Ticker  BabyFetus Ticker

22 Replies • 13 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 10 of 22 Replies | Last Page

hi i am currently expecting my 3 child i am about 7 weeks.My family is not very supportive at all.It makes it very difficult cause you dont really have anyone to talk about with even though its my third still want support.My dh mother dosnt know yet cause we doubt her reaction will be good.Not once did we get a congrats from anyone.The way we deal is just ignore them dh is very helpfull he always says all that matters is our family dont worry aout anyone else hope this helps

13 years ago

Aww how frustrating! People should just learn to mind their own business sometimes! Family can be the worst with this! I think it is GREAT you are starting your family at a "younger" age. My hubby and I (31 and 27) are regretting starting a little "late" seeing as we've just discovered some fertility issues with me. You never know how long its going to take to get preggo so I say, MORE POWER TO YA SISTER! :). I'm sure once you do get preggo, your family will think differently. At the end of the day, what you and your dh want is WAY MORE important than what other people think! Stay strong!

13 years ago

Thanks ladies! I know that you are right. We have been, for the most part, keeping it under wraps anyway (although my dh's lips are not as tight as mine haha) But I would love someone female, a family member hopefully, that I could go to with concerns, questions, or feelings beforehand.

But if staying quiet means I don't have to hear the negative things, then I can handle that. I appreciate getting to vent to you ladies.

11dpo now, so who knows ... maybe I can drop the ball about us ttc with a bfp.

Thanks so much ladies and !!!!!!!!!

13 years ago • Post starter

That's the worst!! I was afraid people would say we are too young (even though we're 27 and 28) so we didn't bring it up to anyone. I do have one older (45) friend with two kids that alway says, "just remember you don't neeeeeed to have kids." I just smile and laugh.
Don't let them get you down!!!

13 years ago

popstar when do you plan on testing?keep us updated

13 years ago

Well, I tested at 10dpo at mid-afternoon and got a , but I know it was silly to waste a test on anything other than my fmu. I got a little over anxious haha. But now I am 12dpo (although my ticker contradicts me), and is due in two days on the 19th. I'm planning on waiting until the 19th or 20th, Saturday or Sunday.

Scared of a so I'm trying to wait as long as possible. I will keep you guys updated.

And peacock:
I have a theory on this about other peoples advice to you when you are ttc. (I'm about to go on a rant) I have heard parents who are around my age say several different things about parenthood to me. These comments generally fall into a few different categories. I hear:
1. "Children are the best thing that could ever happen to you. You should do it." - I appreciate this response because it is honest, and heartfelt. It only reaffirms everything I already believe.
2. "Children are a blessing, I wouldn't change a thing, but it is incredibly difficult." - This response angers me. Ha, ha. It seems so contradictory I suppose. I feel like, "Children are a blessing" is truth. "I wouldn't change a thing" sounds like truth also but completely contradicts thought #3: "it is incredibly difficult"

Let me just say, before I move on, ttc women and men KNOW that having a child is going to be difficult. After being associated with ttc women for the last year or so, I have to say that ttc women and the MOST educated women about being pregnant and having children on the entire planet!

And I do realize that not ever having felt a baby inside of you and never having experienced those things leaves us at somewhat of a disadvantage, but ttc women are walking encyclopedias on each trimester, body temperatures, fetal heart monitors, ultrasounds, anything. You ask us, we know it.

So telling a woman who is childless that having children is 'difficult' in order to try to make her feel better that she doesn't have to deal with that, is like a slap in the face.

We know its difficult, and unlike a great number of new parents today, we have weighed the pros and cons and have decided that, no matter how difficult it is, bringing life into this world is worth the price paid.

3. (This statement generally follows quick after statement #2) "I wish that my husband and I had the freedom to just pick up and go wherever, whenever like we use to" (or worse, "like you do") - Again, this is generally well-meaning and probably half-truth. The statement she has made is true, in and of itself. However, a translation of this statement reads something like this "You shouldn't envy ME. I envy YOU!"

And that is an untrue statement. The way that statement can be proved untrue was stated in statement #2: "I wouldn't change a thing" or "I love my kids but ..." or "My kids are awesome but ..."

That statement proves that if they had it to do all over again, they may have done things differently in life, but the one thing they wouldn't ever change is the fact that they have children. So, in conclusion, they may envy the fact that I have my "freedom", but they still would never trade their kids from my freedom.

Ok, I'm done ranting :)

my dh and i are also both young we are 27 and expecting our third.People dont really have anything nice to say and the looks i get are pretty disgusting.But my baba always says it best everytime i have told her we were expecting even with my first at 18 she said its best now then later.me and dh always thought about why she said that and we figure why not raise the fanily young and enjoy it then when are children are grown we will travel then.Just a diffrent way of looking at it i thought i would let you know

13 years ago

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo