Community post

Question

Anyone had heavier Period than usual after miscarriage?

I had an ultrasound on cd3 at the recurrent miscarriage unit. The doctor took AGES and AGES with the scan. I am sceptical that these scans are harmless..even the docs say that ultrasound is the 'safest' scan technology available - never claiming them to be 'completely safe'...there i sa lot of heat generated with the U/S..anyways I usually only bleed for 3-4 days but after this scan I continues to bleed - even had small tissue in toilet bowel on CD6. I think the scan may have caused the extra bleeding. Now I am on CD9 and I really want to ttc this month..but think perhaps I should take a break in case the scan may have done some harm to the follicles preparing for ovulation. any opinions please?? I really did not want to wait...

Poll:
Ultrasound completely harmless - I am being paranoid (4 votes)
Heat damage with the U/S very unlikely, so no need to wait in TTC (4 votes)
Heat damage with the U/S possible, so best to wait a cycle (1 votes)

4 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

The further along you are when you miscarry, the heavier or longer the bleeding will remain. I was only 4 weeks along and my period was only a day longer than usual, but it was incredibly heavy the first 2 days, trailing to random spotting by the end of it. I really don't think the ultrasound had anything to do with it.

10 years ago

Thanks jannymac for your response. My mc was at 8 weeks and the bleeding after that was much more and lasted longer. Apologies for the confusion in my question, but I am referring to the cycle 'after' the mc bleeding being much heavier than usual. This was my 4th mc and after the previous mcs my periods returned to normal bleeding in the cycle following the mc (albeit a few day days late)..the bleeding this cycle continued much longer and I had little tissue bits on day 6 which I think may be the reslt of he scan..as my bleeding initially. Went to spotting by end of day 3 and then started again with these little tissue bits in the toilet bowl...

10 years ago • Post starter

Sorry about your loss. I miscarried at nine weeks and I was shocked at the heaviness of my first 'real' period after the d&c. Mine went back to normal the following cycle.

10 years ago

Thank you hungrybetty for responding. I am also sorry to hear of your loss..It's really tough...it was really helpful to read that you had a heavier period too..

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo