Community post

Discussion

PCOS Support

Hi, I have recently (3 months ago) been diagnosed with PCOS. My husband and I have been trying for a year now with no success. I had surgery in December to repair a septate uterus. It is now bicornuate instead. I just finished my first cycle on Clomid with timed intercourse. I asked to just have a progesterone check this time and if no success would do more monitoring at a later date. My progesterone showed that I did indeed ovulate but it was 11.4 meaning it would be too low to sustain a pregnancy, another problem identified. I am learning more and more every time I go to the doctor. I wish I didn't have to! I was just wondering if any of you suffer with PCOS and low progesterone? What is the treatment? Have you been successful? Any support would be much appreciated. I feel like I am all alone with no one to talk to who understands a word I'm saying.

7 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

I'm sorry to hear all that. I have PCOS, have done since I was a kid. I'm only on Metformin for it and currently on BCP too, until May. (hopefully). I fell pregnant in September while on the pill and Metformin so yes it does work. I unfortunately lost my baby but I know now that I can have kids.

Dont give up hope, whatever you do. I found temping was the best thing I'd done in regards to all this faff.

Good luck and let us know how you're keeping.

Baby dust <3

Me(20) DH(24) - September 6th 2013 M/C - 25th September 2013 @ 5 weeks We love you little one, you're our little angel Restarted BCP 1/1/2014 - Ended BCP 18/3/2014, too broody to stay on it PCOS dx 2005 - Metformin 1000mg started 2013. Nerve issues dx 2009 - Amitriptyline 10mg started 2013. [i]Left & right ovarian cysts, left ovary 20% left after surgery to remove ovarian tumour. User Image

10 years ago

Thanks for the advice :)
I just went in for my first ultrasound while being monitored on Clomid and my doctor told me to stop temping because its so unpredictable. I was baffled. No way am I going to stop. It's the one thing that isn't costing me anything. And it's probably the most informative as well. She is going to put me on vaginal progesterone two days after I get my + opk until I know I'm pregnant or not. We'll see how it goes. As of today, my uterus and ovaries look just how they should on cd3. :) That's something to be proud of I guess, ha. Gotta appreciate what little normalcy I have. THanks!

10 years ago • Post starter

Thats good - your ovaries and uterus looking good :) I'm not a doctor or anything, just speaking from experience.. I wonder why she said no to temping, its the one thing that can definitely tell you that ovulation happened.. and of course it doesnt freak you out when you dont come on your period, if you know you ovulated late and know your avg. luteal phase.
If you ask me, knowing that ovulation happened, and when, is a big deal to all us TTC'ers, right? :)

Good luck!

Me(20) DH(24) - September 6th 2013 M/C - 25th September 2013 @ 5 weeks We love you little one, you're our little angel Restarted BCP 1/1/2014 - Ended BCP 18/3/2014, too broody to stay on it PCOS dx 2005 - Metformin 1000mg started 2013. Nerve issues dx 2009 - Amitriptyline 10mg started 2013. [i]Left & right ovarian cysts, left ovary 20% left after surgery to remove ovarian tumour. User Image

10 years ago

YES! I agree. I cling to my temp charts and rely on them for so much information. She said they are very unpredictable and there are so many instances that could change the temp that they don't end up being that accurate at all. I do know that I stress a little more with temp changes when I'm not expecting them but I don't think that's a big deal. I also asked her about B6 for helping with Progesterone and she completely shot me down on it making fun of moms online who rave about it. Very unprofessional. She could have gone about that in a completely different way but her arrogance took over.

Is there a diet that you follow for your PCOS?
And, do you know if there are exercise restrictions with all the monitoring and Clomid? I forgot to ask yesterday.

10 years ago • Post starter

Im sorry to hear of your struggles. I also was told I have pcos, but only have really one symptom as I have a healthy/low bmi, no excessive hair growth, etc. ... But really long cycles they told me were anovulatory.

... That being said, I conceive really easily, but have miscarried two out of three pregnancies, and almost lost our daughter at 26 weeks (she is a perfect 13 month old!)

I think taking progesterone is a good idea.. Ive done vaginal progesterone but if we can keep a pregnancy again they said the weekly shots are more effective.

If you are struggling to get good answers, try seeing a perinatologist, or OBX doctor. They are very experienced with high risk women and have helped me a ton. I live in rural Colorado and travel to see Dr. Porreco in Denver when needed, he and mostly God saved our daughter :).

Sorry I dont know a ton about PCOS since Im not treated for it, but didnt want to read and run.

Best wishes!

10 years ago

Sorry for the late reply, spent yesterday spring cleaning the garage! Phew!

Anyway. If I were you I'd want a different doctor, she seems so unprofessional instead of answering your questions and being helpful.

I cant help you on Clomid as I'm not one of the many women on it, yet. I hope I dont have to be though, I'm tired of meds! I hope you find your answer though I wouldnt see anything wrong with exercise, but I dont know.

I dont follow any specific diet, just basically cut out anything with excessive sugar, stuff like that. My Endo wants me on the pill until I drop some weight (I'm just a tad over), but I feel ready so we're trying.

How are you?

10 years ago

Hiya. I have PCOS and used progesterone vaginally for my last pregnancy as my levels dropped and I started to bleed. I had a scan that showed the gestational sac tearing away. So I got myself onto progesterone and held the pregnancy.
I take Metformin also. I actually had two pretty miraculous spontaneous conceptions without any treatment (except surgery for severe endometriosis) and as a result have two completely amazing kiddos! But this time round I am carrying a whole load of extra weight which is probably why I am having trouble conceiving. I have all the PCOS symptoms. I haven't been on Clomid before but several of my patients have and the best advice they've had was to exercise and try to shift any extra weight. Especially midline weight, the extra fatty tissue can interfere with the hormone distribution of your cycle...which is imperative! I also know a lot of people say that clomid can make them put on weight, but like I said I haven't been on it. Good luck!!

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo