Community post

Discussion

Any hope?

I'm currently at 9 dpo on my fifth month of trying. I got bfn's on 7 and 8 dpo and am going to take a break on those for the next few days (I actually had my husband hide my hpts!). I haven't really had any symptoms except twinges of pain in my ovaries every now and then, but I seem to have that every tww.

Today I've had really mild af cramps and since I can't do an hpt, I decided to do an opk for fun. It was blazing positive strangely enough (test way darker than control). I've had positive opks and ovulation symptoms at some point during cd 18 and 21 every single month. Then exactly 14 days later I start my period (I have around a 35 day cycle).

Since I did have a positive opk at cd 21 with all the symptoms, I'm almost 100% that I already ovulated, so I don't think it's that. Any thoughts? I think I'll test again on 11 or 12 dpo.

3 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hi! There are two possibilities for the result you have seen. First is that you may not have ovulated the first time you got a positive. OPKs tell you you have a lutenising hormone surge, not that you ovulated. You can only confirm this by charting basal body temperature and seeing a rise for three days after ovulation. So it is possible you geared up to ovulate and that it didn't happen.

The second possibility is that the OPK is picking up hCG and that you could be pregnant. However, as OPKs are far less sensitive that a pregnancy test if you are getting negative pregnancy tests this is unlikely. hCG and LH are similar in structure, however people who have see positives on OPKs get them after a positive on an HPT due to the sensitivity.

9dpo is really too early to think about testing as that is the most common day for implantation. You will only get a positive HPT a couple of days after implantation so 11dpo is when you should start testing if you don't mind a few negatives. You might only implant at 12dpo in which case you would only get positives at 14dpo, so don't get disappointed yet :)

Were you testing with first morning urine on your HPTs? That is when it hCG is most concentrated so you are most like to get a positive then if you are pregnant.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how it goes :)

10 years ago

Thanks for your reply! I've been thinking about those possibilities as well. I agree it's a bit early for opk's to be picking up hcg, so that's probably not it. On the other hand, if this is a second surge and actual ovulation, this would be the latest I've ever ovulated, since I'm already at cd 31. Also the last time I had my surge (10 days ago) I had all the symptoms... sore boobs, ewcm, twinges, and this time I have none. Even my cervix is hard and closed right now. Very strange, oh well I guess I'll wait and see!

10 years ago • Post starter

Hi, hows it going? Any news or did AF get you?

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo