Community post

Journal

Misoprostol-induced Miscarriage

I went ahead with inducing the pregnancy loss via misoprostol. I was pretty anxious after reading some horror stories online. My RE did give me a prescription for vicodin, so that was helpful. Surprisingly, she said they prefer to place the pills in your cervix, so I went in on Friday morning to get that done.

The bleeding started about 5-6 hours after the pills were placed, by which point I was already quite stoned on vicodin and ibuprofen. I believe I passed the sac within an hour thereafter. I really thought there would be more blood and tissue, but it was pretty much like a heavy period. There were some stronger cramps about 9 hours in, but nothing I couldn't handle with my drug cocktail and heating pad. The whole ordeal was pretty much done inside of 12 hours. Now I am just bleeding like a period, which I assume will keep up for a week or so.

I go in for a follow up u/s on Thursday a.m. to make sure everything has passed and I guess they are going to monitor my HCG levels until they drop back down to a non-pregnant level.

We hadn't told anyone about this pregnancy, so now there is just this weird feeling like the whole thing was a dream. I am in the process of getting rid of all the pregnancy and TTC items in the house, which will take a while. From pee sticks to non-alcoholic beer to pregnancy books and work out DVDs...there are reminders everywhere. I even have a bunch of maternity clothes I had bought during my first pregnancy.
Getting rid of this stuff may be difficult at times, but I think it will really help all of this sink in and become real. It is difficult just jumping right back into life like these last few years of TTC never happened, but I will gradually make this transition away from the TTC world.

6 Comments • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 6 of 6 Comments

I'm sorry hun that's what I did too. The bleeding lasted awhile for me and I still pass large clots several days later. Your in my thoughts.

8 years ago

I'm so sorry you went through this. I pray that things get easier for you soon and you can find some comfort. Good luck in the future, whatever you may do.

User Image

8 years ago

Thanks very much for your kind thoughts. I hope that all of you get what you are hoping for in this journey and send you all lots of love.

8 years ago • Post starter

How are you doing?? Was thinking about you today.

8 years ago

I'm okay. Yesterday was a really horrible day. I went in for the post-miscarrage u/s and everything looks fine/cleared out. My RE started saying how we could jump right back into treatment as soon as we are ready. I told her we were done - I am well aware of the statistics pertaining to women who have had 2 consecutive miscarriages. She said "I really hope not, your chances are so strong for success if you keep trying." She said my first loss "didn't even count, because it was so early". Lucky me, a freebie miscarriage that doesn't count toward my tally! She had no clue how much it hurt to hear these things, it messed me up bad for the entire day. We do believe that either my egg quality is very poor and/or we're dealing with a combo of that and an autoimmune and/or clotting factor issue. Or, we will never know, since for 50% of recurrent miscarriages, there is no cause found and it is deemed "unexplained". We just really wish she would have re

...respected our decision, instead of pushing the hard sell. I do feel as if their first concern is not their patients wishes, but their bottom line.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo