Community post

Question

Flying at 6 weeks...is it safe?

does flying increase the chance of a miscarriage?? I have been searching on Google and some says it's safe to travel and some say no to first trimester. I'm travelling from pa to ca in the next 2 weeks. The fight is 5 hrs nonstop.

2 Answers • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Answers

Submitted by pearlmini07

Air travel is very safe during pregnancy.  There is no radiation risk, the X-ray machines are actually glorified metal detectors and are very safe to walk through (as are the full body scanners) and all cabins are pressurized.  The first trimester is a great time to travel, except that morning sickness and fatigue often kick in around 7 to 8 weeks, so be prepared.  You may feel great when you book your trip, but terrible by the time you leave.  Ask your practitioner for tips to help with nausea, as ask for safe anti-nausea medication to take with you, just in case. The only real risk of a long flight is a DVT (deep venous thrombosis) or blood clot.  This is a risk for all travelers on long flights, but pregnant women are at higher risk. 

9 years ago

My dr will not let me travel during the first trimester. This has nothing to do with flights or flight durations but with the fact that I am a high risk patient to begin with, having had several miscarriages in the past due to various reasons. Flights per se are not considered harmful during the first trimester. Best to you.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo