Community post

Question

Using an ovulation test as a preg. test? NEED HELP!

I have a 42-44 day cycle. My last period was on July 4, 2013 and I ovulated and BD's July 31. I am currently 15 days late for my period and have been testing at least once a week since August 17, 2013. 3 have been negative and the past 2 had a very VERY faint line (last night and this morning). I was so excited about it that I took a dollar tree pregnancy test to confirm and it came out negative. I had also bought an opk and used the same urine to take the pregnancy test and the OPK came out positive? What does this mean? I have been trying to search about this but nothing has come up so far. If some of you ladies can give me some input, I'd greatly appreciate it!

4 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

I read about this earlier today...OPK's can pick up on LH AND Hcg in your system, so the positive OPK could be an indication of pregnancy, but it is apparently not reliable as a pregnancy test. This is because LH could be causing a positive reading for some reason. It's possible that the dollar tree test was not as sensitive as the two tests that gave you a faint line. You could try another test - I have heard good things about First Response brand tests. Also, if you are pregnant, it should become more obvious on the tests within the next few days. Good luck!

10 years ago

No no no
OPK test detect the LH surge the HPT detects the HCG levels. although it is possible later for a OPK to detect preg but not before a HPT does.

I am 7weeks preg, I used at OPK to check when I was 4,5,6 preg and it was neg, it had a faint line but was very much neg. I took and OPK test today at 7 weeks preg to see and it was blazing + but this is only because I am 7 weeks preg.

You must not get your hopes up using an OPK test as a HPT as they detect two different things.

I hope this has cleared it up for you. Good luck

10 years ago

How do u confirm ur ovulation? Its possible u didnt ovulate when u think u did.

Hopefulforababy is absolutely right, another thing some aren't aware of, an OPK will go positive before AF arrives. There are quite a few of us who have this happen every cycle (not everyone). Mine are + a day or two before, as my temp falls, then the witch comes.

10 years ago

Thanks ladies. I was reading that people have used opk's and just wanted to test it. I took another pregnancy test and opk. Well the pregnancy test showed up very much negative and the opk is way lighter than it was yesterday. I used the same fmu and everything :( Could it have been a chemical?

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo