Community post

Question

Paragard or Mirena?

After this second MC, I've decided to stop trying for a while. I've never used any BC methods so I have no idea what to expect.

After a bit of research, I'm between Mirena and Paragard.

Have you had any of the 2? Which one would you recommend and why?

5 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

I had Mirena in for a year to ease discomfort from ovulation pain and ovarian cysts. Initially, there will be discomfort when it's inserted, similar to period cramps or early contractions. There is slight bleeding as well that can last a few days, but it is something you may like. Every so often you may feel cramps from the iud moving in your uterus. They will be sudden and immediately subside. Other than that you're good. You can have sex without worrying once it's determined by ultrasound that the iud is in its proper place. You can always have it removed when you are ready to try again.

I would still be on it if my cycles didn't become so heavy all of a sudden. I went from having light periods with the iud that lasted 4 days and only needed a tampon and liner, to bleeding through my clothes in an hour with no explanation. I also considered Paragard after I had Mirena implanted so I would recommend either one as a temporary solution til you're ready to try again. Good luck.

11 years ago

i tried paragard. after severe cramping from the insertion i had to have the doc call in vicodin. finally it stopped. then, a few weeks later my hubby said he felt something hard up there. yup. its falling out. so, i wil not be using this form again! ugh.

11 years ago

by the way, your cycles do become heavier and bleeding more. .a great side effect

11 years ago

I had the Mirena put in a few weeks after I had my son. Only had it five months before it was removed due to infection./ I am doing just fine with Natural Family Planning - six months and still going. And it is great since we have been TTC given up hope that we conceived this cycle even though I missed a period and the hpts were neg. Good luck to u

11 years ago

My friend had the Merlina. It was awful for her.....pain never went away and she had severe, sudden increased pain. She ended up with an infection which they cleared up however 2 months later it shifted....causing pain and PREGNANCY! She ended up with twins! Her merina shifted and she released multiple eggs and two were fertilized. I know this doesn't happen to everyone but if you get on you tube and watch some videos about other people's experiences. Good luck!

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo