Community post

Discussion

Thyroid - TSH Level Too High?

I've been TTC for 2 years now. (1 MC) I recently had blood work done for muscle soreness and I was told my TSH level was 3.44, which was elevated. I have been reading that you need to be below 2 to successfully conceive and carry. Has anyone had this happen?

User Image

3 Replies • 12 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

I've had hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid resulting in high TSH level) for about 8 years now and I take levothyroxine (synthroid) to control it. Recently, it was discovered my TSH level inexplicably jumped to 7.3, so my synthroid dose was increased from 112 mcg to 137. From everything I've read and from what I've personally experienced, taking synthroid easily does the job of lowering TSH as long as you get dialed in to the right dose.

3.4 is definitely too high. TTC and pregnant women should be below a 2, ideally closer to 1. I didn't know this until recently, but high TSH levels are incredibly dangerous to a developing fetus, so it's very important to get it under control.

This all being said, while 3.4 is higher than you'd like, it's actually within an acceptable range for non-TTC/pregnant women, so it should be pretty easy to get it where it needs to be with medication. I wouldn't be too concerned!

Also, just FYI, synthroid is perfectly safe to take while pregnant and is actually vital to keeping TSH levels in check while pregnant.

12 years ago

Thank you for replying! I saw my Endo today and he took blood to test against my GP's blood over a week ago. He said that 3.4 is a little too high when TTC and when PG, so here's hoping I can get it all under control soon. Thank you again for taking the time to respond!

User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

Just an update. My newest TSH bloodwork came back at 2.6, so the Endo said he won't put me on anything with my TSH being below 3. It has gone down from the first test and all I have done is increase my iodine so that I get 150 mcg/day. I'm not sure that this is what has lowered the TSH, but if anyone has any ideas to naturally lower my TSH, that would be great. Thanks!

User Image

12 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo