Community post

Discussion

So discouraged-- 5-6m TTC

For the record, I posted this on 'the bump' first and they were horrible. Their callous, snobby responses made me cry. >_> Is it like that on all TTC boards?

My husband and I have been married since 9/14 and have been TTC since day 1. We were both sexually inactive prior to the wedding. We are both 25 and I have no apparent health issues or problems with my cycle. I have never been on BC. I have always been very aware of my body, so I had a very good idea of when I was fertile each month prior to and since we've been married, and I've been charting for going on two months now (including temping).

But nothing is happening. We are BD'ing for nearly 2.5 weeks to get the time before and after ovulation (basically from the last day of my period until a week or so after ovulation), just in case, using Preseed, I'm taking prenatals and he's trying to eat foods rich in anti-oxidants etc etc. We are both relatively healthy weights (maybe could lose 5-10lbs but nothing serious). My LP appears to be 14 days, and last month I O'd on CD12 (this month, it's CD14 and I'm still waiting, but I think it'll be in the next few days).

I have a breakdown every month that I get my period, and this past month when AF arrived I decided to make a doctor's appointment. I'm going in February, but in the meantime, I have just found out 3 more people I know are pregnant, including my sister in law, who is over 30 and still nursing a baby who had complications during pregnancy. I got a text from a 'friend' this morning asking "So when are you going to get pregnant? Wasn't it supposed to happen right away?!" as she is nearing her own due date in March, and I burst into tears. I can't even handle characters on TV shows we are watching being pregnant anymore. Facebook is a torment as I see baby pictures and hear about so and so hearing the baby's heartbeat for the first time, or so and so posting a picture now that she's showing, and so on and so on. It's horrible.

I know we haven't been TTC that long, but it seems like if we are timing our BD'ing for more than enough of my fertile time and beyond, for 5 going on 6 months, we should have had some results. What are we doing wrong? Can anybody give me some encouragement? I cry all the time and can't focus on anything but this (and I'm trying--I know that obsessing can only make it harder), and it's starting to wear on DH. He's patient and kind, but he can only take so much of me being a basketcase all month, and twice the basketcase when I get AF.

4 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

*bump*

9 years ago • Post starter

No 5-6 months is a short amount of time even if youre charting ovulation, healthy and under 30 having regular sex it isnt abnormal until youve been trying for over 12 months. Most people couples take about 9 months to conceive I know it seems like everyone catches on the pill or on the first try but this isnt the case. I think youre harming your chances by stressing about it as much as you are you shouldnt be crying and being discouraged by AF so much relax it will happen good luck!

9 years ago

I agree, I've only been TTC for 2 months now but if there's anything Ive gathered so far is to not stress and let it happen! Plenty of sites show statistics stating couples (healthy and under 40) usually conceive within 6-12 months. That's what they don't label you infertile until you've been trying for 12 months.

Maybe, just maybe, take a month off from temping and stressing. You can still log, but try switching it up, try BD every other day. On the off chance he has a low sperm count (something you probably wouldn't get tested until after the 12 month mark) every other day works best!

9 years ago

This was hard to reas b\c I know exactly how you feel. I watched every one of my sisters give birth before me. It was so devastating when I would hear about someone else I knew dinding out they were pregnant. I know telling you to be patient is easier said than done but stressing over truly does make it harder. We tried for years and I questioned myself and cried to when it wasn't happening when I wanted it to happen. I recently found out I wasn't O'ing on the days I thought I was and all this time I could have been holding my bundle of joy. Maybe it's something as simple as that.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo