Community post

Discussion

IVF Coming up in late February - First Try... anyone else?

View Full Post

It looks like they will be doing the egg retrieval either the week of 2/19 or 2/26. I am currently still on the 3-month lupron shot for endometriosis/adenomyosis and will be going on low dose lupron at the end of the month until they trigger me. I am getting very nervous and excited.... and at the same time DO NOT want to get my hopes up as we do not qualify for any IVF guarantee programs due to my issues and my RE doesn't seem overly confident.

Anyone else doing IVF soon?!?!

Brandy257 TTC#1, 2 years and 4 months

26 Replies • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

11 - 20 of 26 Replies | Last Page

I cut out caffeine (sodas, or more specifically Dr. Pepper, my drug of choice) the day I started my lupron injections and I've been taking prenatals every day since October when we made the decision. Had a horrible caffeine withdrawal headache for days which was not fun! lol Diet wise I probably should do better, we eat out probably a couple of times a week and I just make sure I don't get a soda, but I'm still getting greasy fatty foods. Once they start me on the stim meds I'll probably cut those out too though!

The injections aren't AWFUL. The lupron needle is pretty short in comparison to the others, and I have to put mine in on my stomach near my belly button. It's weird, on the left side I don't feel it at ALL, but on my right side it pinches and burns. I think it's the angle I do it at since I'm right handed. I could just do them all on the left side, but then it would get sore so I'm trying to keep bouncing around.

The stim med needles are a lot longer! The menopur is like, triple the length and everything I've read online says it burns every single time and theres nothing you can do about it. I have yet to see someone not say that about the menopur. The Follistim came with a little dispenser, kind of like when you check your blood for diabetes - where it just pops the needle in and out really quick - it's a little cartridge like that. So I'm *hoping* that one doesn't hurt, because that needle is super long too.

7 years ago

It probably is because you are right handed.. never thought about that! We'll see how it goes, if I hurt myself, I'll let my husband give it a try. I'm kind of glad you are ahead of me in the process so I know what to expect!

I'm not big on soda, but I love my black coffee and lots of it. I've cut down seriously and didn't drink it at all for a month but kind of worked a cup or three a week back in :) I don't have to have it and I don't get caffeine headaches but it is just comforting in the morning (hate mornings!). But I guess in my case, there are foods you can eat/avoid to better your uterine health and lining so I'll do whatever it takes. I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can so this isn't another let-down, especially since it is so expensive and insurance covers hardly anything in my state.

At least in your case, your uterus isn't the problem so although it's awful you have to go straight to IVF, at least you have a pretty good shot!! I hope the follistim shot doesn't hurt you too bad. You'll have to keep me posted!

7 years ago • Post starter

It's SO helpful having someone going through the same stuff to kind of warn you! I found someone on here who is a couple of weeks ahead of me so I'm getting a heads up myself on what to be expecting lol Honestly once you start doing the shots (short needle lupron at least) it becomes habit. I was very hesitant at stabbing myself the first few times, but now that I'm 2 weeks in it's pretty routine now and I can give myself the shot in about 30 seconds.

I have my appointment in the morning to check and see how my eggs have been responding to everything since October and see if it's time to start my stim meds, so cross your fingers! I'm hoping we stick to the tentative calendar they gave me because I'm already having to take off a lot of work for it. Once you hit the stim meds you have to go every other day for a couple of weeks while they monitor your egg growth, which is tough if you work a day job! Plus my clinic is an hour away so it's not like I can just pop out real quick to do it!

7 years ago

I worry about work too! Luckily my day job is pretty flexible. They are aware of the situation and it won't hurt me to not be there. But we also have a small business and sometimes not being there is not an option! We'll have to figure out a way to deal with it somehow.

I hope your appointment goes well today!

Well apparently I lied about the stim meds! haha

Today we did an ultrasound to check for cysts and make sure everything was quiet, then we did a practice transfer. They said everything looks perfect and is on track and we shouldn't have any problems, so I start my stim meds in the morning!

The menopur DOESNT use that super long needle. They said that is just what comes on the little injector, but I take that needle off and put a smaller one on *shew*. Then it involves mixing 2 vials of powder with 1 vial of liquid, at least in my case. Then administer and boom, done!

The follistim does have that little cartridge pen thing, but it doesn't administer it. You put the medicine inside it and put a needle on it (another short one, yay!) and you do the measuring by swisting the cap. I get 2 uses out of mine each vial, so yay!

We're still on track for a retrieval not next week, but the week after!

I'm a teacher, so taking off work isn't super easy - but my husband has some health stuff going on they're aware of so for now we are just attributing my taking off to that.

*edit*

Confirmed. Menopur burns! haha

7 years ago

LOL but I hope the menopur doesn't burn too bad for you! And that is awesome, I hope they get lots of good eggs from your retrieval!

I ended up with a sinus infection and the RE said it is ok to go on antibiotics since they were going to give them to me for my practice transfer on the 31st anyway (thank goodness!).

Looks like you are about 3-4 weeks ahead of me, but this is reassuring on the smaller needles! ;)

I have a question for you, if it was already mentioned, my apologies. Which progesterone did you choose? She said I can do the suppositories or injections. Do you know if one is any better than the other? Just curious if you had heard!

P.S. I hope your husband is ok!

They didn't really give me an option, they called everything into a pharmacy in New Jersey and just told me to call them to pay/place the order for them to ship it. It's just called "progesterone oil"

I had my first ultrasound today to see how the stim meds are doing and they said they're extremely happy and it's going better than perfect! I've got 13 follicles between 10.5-14.5 and they were expecting to only be able to retrieve 7-9 TOTAL, so I'm way past what they were thinking yaaay! I'll go back on Saturday for one last check and they said to plan on a Monday retrieval and do my trigger shot Saturday night!

7 years ago

Yay!! That's GREAT news!

I hope everything goes smoothly and if you are bored while recovering, I'll be around. Fingers crossed it isn't too uncomfortable and good luck!

It's go time! Got the go ahead to trigger tonight Had another follicle pop up for 14, and about half are between 18-21.5 which is right about where you want them to be (it's pretty big I think anyway? haha). Doing the retrieval early Monday morning so should hear pretty soon after that how many eggs we get. I hope this means we will get to transfer next Saturday so my husband can be there! He can only make the weekend appointments right now, so my parents are actually taking me on Monday (little awkward..but I didn't have another choice).

It feels like all the shots JUST started, so hopefully it flies by for you! Your time should be coming up soon huh?

7 years ago

That's so exciting!!! I really hope it's the weekend and he can be there too! I know it's not romantic or anything but it would be awesome if he could!

I wish I was that close, I am seriously dying from the wait! I go Tuesday for the trial transfer and a few other tests. In one way I'm happy that I have time to eat well and prepare but I really just want to do this!!

Last page

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo