Community post

Discussion

Fertile but choosing to do IUI. Am I alone?

By all definitions, my husband and I are considered “fertile;” He is 35 years old, 56 mil sperm count with 80% motility. I am 33 and all of my anatomy, bloodwork, etc. is all great EXCEPT I have a long follicular phase resulting in a 3 week wait for ovulation.

TTC #1 – Pregnant first try – Son is now 2!
TTC #2 – Pregnant first try – MC at 11 ½ weeks w/ D&C due to serious infection from Shingles outbreak. Lost him at 11 & ½ weeks. Chromosomes looked fine but I did have a confirmed bacterial infection in my Uterus.

No scaring as a result (saline sonogram) confirmed two months later after D&C.

The MC was traumatic and I decided to become proactive. I am no longer in my 20’s and in light of saving time we choose to go to a RE.

We were put on mini aspirin and progesterone (200 mg twice a day starting 5 days after Ovulation). Take for 12 days then take a test. Stop if not pregnant.

TTC#3 - 1 CP & 2 BFN

TTC#4 - With a 40 day plus cycle the wait is horrible (I know, I know, we have not been trying that long and we are lucky to have had a good record so far). So our RE suggested Letrozole on CD 4-8, 5mg, to get ovulation back on track. It worked! One very large but nicely constructed follicle on CD10 (22-23mm).

RE gave us the unexpected option that day to take a Ovidrel trigger shot and do an IUI 36 hours later. We were surprised as her suggestion as we did not think we had issues. She said we do not however, she knows how badly we want the BFP ASAP. Our insurance covers IUI so we decided, “why not?”

Did the trigger shot that evening and went in for IUI 36 hours later. I am now 1DP IUI.

So my question is….are there any other “fertile” couples out there who have decided to do this or take other advanced measures? I would love to hear your story to help me get through the TWW.

Thanks!

0 Replies • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo