Community post

Discussion

I need a hug...:(

Well after 3 years of my husband either being gone due to the military and poor bd timing and 1 year of serious bd timing we decided to see a Dr.
My husband was diagnosed with azoospermia in December last year. So we talked about it and decided we would try donor sperm. We did two at home inseminations in April that didn't work. So instead of wasting more money I went to see a Dr too. I had all the tests done and everything was completely normal. My ob put me on clomid just to up my chances and scheduled my IUI. I went in on day 3 to do my clomid challange test and everythig came back normal. My on told me to order my donor sperm and have it ready the week after I stopped taking clomid. I went on day 10 to iniah my clomid test and my fsh came back at 18! A nurse called me and old me that a number that high for someone my age( I'm only 28) means thy I probably have very low egg reserve and that if I do the IUI it is a very slim chance it will work. Total devistation. My sperm tank is sitting in my living room. Then my fertility nurse who I happen to really like calls me and tells me she is questioning the validity of the test because my day 3 was 7 and then it skyrocketed up to 18. She had me go down and have an AMH test done but it won't the results won't be available for four days. I use ovulation tests every month and I have never not gotten a positive. And I have ovulation pain every month also. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them? What should I do? Should I keep testing and do the IUI when I get a positive or send the tank back and have them store it until I figure out what's going on? They don't do refunds on this only storage.
I feel like I have been smacked in the face with a truck. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.
Jenny

2 Replies • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

Hello Jenny,
My mother in law and her husband have the same problems as you and your husband and she is 30. After the results from AMH and FSH, she was told that IUI is useless and that their only chance is FIV. From their experience I believe that you should store the sperm for a while until you know how you stand. Sorry for my English, I hope it's undestandable :)
Good luck and hope to hear good news from you!

User Image

9 years ago

Hi Jenny, I'm sorry to hear this. If it were me I'd probably store the sperm until I could get some better answers. Does your clinic not offer cycle monitoring via ultrasound? I paid something like $250 for the year and I go in every month CD3 and then every couple of days starting around CD10. The ultrasound on CD3 shows the number of eggs in reserve and then the ultrasounds on CD10-ovulation show how many follicles are maturing and their size. The blood tests monitor a bunch of things, one of which is LH which will show the exact amount which should tell the Dr./nurse whether or not you'll have strong ovulation. The home OPKs only show positive when it's above a certain amount, but of course the blood test would be much more accurate. They can also look internally after suspected ovulation to see if in fact you released an egg and confirm this with a blood progesterone level test.

You mention you are on chlomid, is this because the Dr. suspects you don't ovulate on your own, or because they are trying to increase the number of follicles that mature? If it's to increase the number of follicles that mature, I'd think it would be particularly important to be monitored closely. We are doing this now and aiming to get my medication (Femara) dosage correct to produce 2-3 mature follicles but no more and no less before doing the IUI. Personally I am waiting for a cycle with at least 2 follicles before paying for the IUI, but if there are more than 3 I'm not moving forward due to the risk of multiple multiples. Just some food for thought.

You are not alone in this & please feel free to msg me if you are looking for a buddy :)

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo