Community post

Discussion

Hemochromatosis

Are there ANY ladies out there who have been diagnosed with or have been told that they may have Hemochromatosis?

I know that there isn't a lot of information out there regarding Hemo and TTC, or even female fertility. It's a long shot...but I figured I could try!

*Hemo is an oversaturation of Iron in the blood.

2 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

Hi there. I have no personal knowledge or anything I'm afraid, but I remember studying haemochomotosis at university. I recall it is very uncommon in females because we lose blood each month. I also remember that the treatment was to give blood regularly to reducing the iron loading and that helped with symptoms. Have you been having issues with TTC or just wanting to know if there might be some? How do you control it normally?

10 years ago

I'm in my 4th month off BC and my cycles have been having issues regulating (35, 37, and 39 days). We did progesterone labs last cycle that resulted in 0.3 on CD21 and 7.7 on CD28 (possible ovulation).

I was diagnosed in 2011 after a routine physical showed my saturation levels at around 48% (the average adult male's average is 44%). Genetic testing was negative, and my doctor believed it was contracted from an emergency transfusion (2 units of packed red cells) after the delivery of my 2nd child. It's unclear if I had this before, as serum labs aren't routine.

I have always donated blood and did so especially since it saved my life, but after my iron levels were too noticeably high I was indefinitely deferred by the Red Cross. Since then, I only undergo phlebotomy treatment when my levels approach unsafe. I also take zinc and vitamin B6, as it reduces the absorption of iron in the blood.

My OB is currently researching Hemo and fertility, as there is not much information out there. I do know that it can cause irregular periods. Just trying to stay ahead of the game, and as it's fairly rare....it would be nice to be in contact with someone who is potentially more knowledgeable.

10 years ago • Post starter

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo