Community post

Discussion

Factor V Leiden - Clotting Disorder

Hello ladies!

Wondering if there is anyone else on this site who has Factor V Leiden - type 1? I have been TTC for 3 cycles now (Oct. 2013) really wanting to start our family BUT I am also very nervous about getting pregnant b/c of the higher risks of FVL....I've had a PE before and was told b/c of this as soon as we get out BFP I'll need to go back on blood thinners (freaks me out a bit) but it's safer for me and the baby. I will be labled as a high risk pregnancy b/c of the clot...

Anyone in the same boat?

9 Replies • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

The dr seems to think I have a clotting disorder as well. But he meet have me a name for it.

I have had 3 early term miscarriages. One 3 mos ago. Two almost 10 yrs ago.

I agree with you about the blood thinners making me feel uncomfortable. But if it works...

What else have you been trying while TTC?

10 years ago

Hello, I am homozygous Factor V Leiden. My husband and I have been trying the last couple of months with no luck. I had multiple PE when I was 18 and diagnosed with Factor V and Prothrombin. I have been taking coumadin ever since to prevent any more clots. I am now 25. My Dr. has given me the okay to try but I am fully aware it will be a high risk pregnancy and know some of the complications I am facing. Coumadin is very dangerous for the pregnancy and I will be switching to Lovenox as soon as I confirm a pregnancy. I am nervous, and anxious all at the same time. I am confident the Lovenox will protect me from clots but I have my fears about carrying to full term. I would love it if I had a buddy going through the same thing as me.

User Image

10 years ago

SarahNoelle - Sadly I am glad that there is someone else in the same boat as me (I am 28). I go in every 6 months to get blood tests done to make sure everything is still in the clear. I've only had one PE-- but it was painful enough that I don't ever want that again, they think it came from my leg and had a nice little adventure to the lung.

Were you told that you could never be on the pill or most forms of bc again? It's been two years since I've been off of the bcp and I really didn't think that this would be this hard. You hear about people needing 3-6 months to have a normal cycle back once they quit the pill but come on I've been normal ever since I quit two years ago.

I'm with you, I don't like the idea of being back on Lovenox or taking any sort of thinner but I know that I will have to, I'm nervous about being labeled as â??high risk and knowing all the things that can happen. I don't want my baby to have to deal with this stuff either. Personally I'd love to be one of those people who just 'happened' to get pregnant and not have to worry about all the 'what ifs' when it comes to being called 'high risk'.

I'll be your FV buddy for sure! It would be wonderful to have someone who understands all of this. I'll be 29 in two months and it scares me even more to be getting closer to the 30yr mark and how much things can change for us when we reach that.
Anyways --keep me posted on everything! Hoping this year will be our year --complications free!!

10 years ago • Post starter

Thank you Sissy1985,

It's nice to know i'll have someone to talk to. I was advised to stay off any birth control with hormones. About 2 years ago I accidentally got pregnant but sadly lost it about 2 days after finding out. When that happened I tried the Paragaurd IUD for about 2 months before I had it taken out. It just make me constantly spot and have horribly heavy and painful periods. Since then I have just been careful. I just recently got married in September and my husband and I are ready to start our family. We have been "trying" since the wedding. I only recently am more actively trying with OPKs. My cycles are a little out of whack. I am currently CD 15 and have had almost positive ovulation strips since about the 1st. I may or may not have ovulated yet so I am playing it safe and just having sex whenever I get the chance! I'm going to continue to test to see if I do get a surge though. My last cycle was funky and I am not even sure I ovulated last month. Are you tracking O?

User Image

10 years ago

I use the clear blue ovulation tests-simple with a smiley face. Reading the lines I confuse myself so smiley faces it is. We've been married a year, and started trying on our anniversary. I've always used the opks since we really want a baby and I'd like to know when the 'perfect' time would be. I use an app on my phone as well to track everything: Selene - if it weren't for the app I'd be all over the place. Gives me my lp ranges, peak days, thermal shifts (but I don't temp). Just nice to have something else track it for me.

Last month we thought we were going to finally have the bfp we've been waiting for. I was 8 days late and on day 9 af showed up. We were both pretty upset about it. I'm so sorry to hear about your mc, I'm sure that's not an easy thing to go through.

Let me know how the rest of your month plays out!! GL!!

I should get those.. I have had like 6 days of almost positives and it's driving me crazy. I wish I knew If I ovulated already or not. I stopped testing at night since they were always diluted whether I held my pee and limited liquids or not. I also have an app on my phone to help me figure out my periods but my cycle days are from 20-40 days. Last month was the weird one where I was spotty on CD20-Cd25. I counted it as my period but it was still way out of the usual. I went to my OB to see if everything was ok and she couldn't find any issues. She said I have the ovaries of a 21 year old and I just need to keep trying. My follicles weren't ready for ovulation just yet but that was 5 days ago so I hope I am getting close. My left side was inconclusive, she said it may have already ruptured since it was kind of bunched together looking. Wish I knew. Where are you at in your cycle?

User Image

10 years ago

Last month I went to cd35, which is not normal. I'm usually a 28dc no questions, like clockwork. That's why last month we were getting really excited about a possible bfp. So this month I'm not sure what's going to happen. Right now I'm at cd10 poss ovulation day cd17. So we have started the every other day sex cycle to help better out odds and we will continue that through cd21 just incase I ovulate late. The hubs is on board with all of this and he is getting better at knowing when things are going on.

Did your hubby get tested for FV? I wanted mine to but he has insurance through the VA and they don't do get kind of genetic testing, so we'd have to pay out of pocket. No one else in his family has shown any signs and his brothers were tested when they were trying to start families.

We are the last ones on both sides to have kids. His sister is preg again with #2, his brother just has a second and his other brother is working on their second. My older brother already has 4-he's 30, and my little brother just had his first. So we are the last and it's very hard to see everyone starting their families, I like being an auntie but it's time for our own.

Did you pick up the clear blue ovulation tests? How are you feeling about this month?

I'm thinking of getting digital next month if this one doesn't work out. I still have a bunch of CVS ones I want to use up before spending more money haha. I am now CD17 and still just have almost positive OPKs. Just hoping I don't have another off cycle and early period. I have been having sex daily since CD9. Missed one day though haha. I normally do every other day but now I am going strong this month! I plan on going until my period is due at this point. I'm going to continue to use my OPKs daily though just in case it hasn't happened yet. It's really hard not knowing. In November it took 3 strips to catch my surge. CD 10 was faint, CD 11 was darker then strong positive on CD 12 where it was much darker than the control. This month just seems strange because my almost positives are darker than the day before my surge before.

I did have my hubby tested for FV and he is clear. Makes me feel a little better our baby won't get both genes like me, but sadly it will still get one.. I am also RH- and my husband is a positive blood type so there is already a risk of bleeding there. Just have to hope it all works out.

Sounds like you have a few babies in your family but I agree it is your turn now! I only have one sister and no babies from her. My husband has 2 sisters but again no babies. One of his sisters is only 3 haha. I hope that we both have some luck this month.

User Image

10 years ago

Hi,I only joined this site to answer your questions and share my story I am way past childbearing age and I hope it helps.I have Factor V Leiden and I had to go through my pregnancies before this condition was discovered. My first pregnancy was easy although I had a superficial clot on my leg,my son was born healthy and two weeks early.My second pregnancy did not go well and I had a miscarriage at 23 weeks my son was born alive but he only lived 1 hour. On my third pregnancy I had a PE at three months pregnant,I was hospitalised for the remainder of the pregnancy and was given Heparin for the duration,I threatened early labour from 28 weeks but held on to her for 32 weeks.She was premature but perfect and suffered no side effects from the heparin as it does not cross the placenta. My daughter is now 22 and on the progesterone pill but if she gets pregnant I will make certain she gets heparin throughout any pregnancies.Do not worry about the blood thinners later as I have been on them for 22 years and I am still here with a wonderful healthy family.You are all young and have the best medical care available and treatment has advanced over the last twenty years but if you are not happy with treatment make yourself heard.I wish you all the best for the future.

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo