Community post

Discussion

First post - TTC first child - not first pregnancy.

I want to say hi to all the lovely ladies who are in the same chapter in their lives as I am! I am 28 years old (29 on December 20th) and my husband and I are now actively trying for our first child.
In 2006 at the age of 22, my husband and I (then engaged) became pregnant while I was on birth control. I didn't know I was pregnant until 10 weeks and 5 days. I was not having normal periods. I spotted about when I should have had my AF, I assumed it was just an unusually light period since after all I was on birth control. I then later on started getting intense cramping. My intense cramping would be followed by an unusually scary amount of blood literally POURING out of me. I would wake up sometimes at night with an approximate 2' by 3' pile of blood around me. I could sit on the toilet and it sounded like a bucket of water (in this case blood) was dropping into the toilet out of me all at once. I couldn't go to work because no tampon or pad could stop it. The women in my family tend to have problems with their reproductive organs that resulted in a hysterectomy in both my mother and grandmother when in their 20's. My mom was very concerned I was following in their place and I may not be able to have kids. I went to the doctor and was sent to an immediate ultrasound. The funny thing is that during the ultrasound I saw my child on the screen and was in such denial it didn't register completely that I was pregnant. The ultrasound technician sent me back to the doctor immediately where because of being in denial it didn't occur to me what she was about to tell me. I was pregnant. I was hemorrhaging which explained the blood. I had now realized that during my 10 week pregnancy I was on antibiotics, Dilantin for possible seizures, had my wisdom teeth taken out, and was taking Ibuprofen for the wisdom teeth surgery pain for approximately a month during. This is in addition to having a mental illness which I was still getting under control at the time. It was not the right time for me physically or emotionally to carry the baby. This pregnancy did not last.
Now that I am trying to conceive I am praying this was a unique pregnancy not typical to me, but rather because of the circumstances at the time. I have spent years getting myself physically and mentally prepared for having a child. I am now ready, and I hope history does not repeat itself.

For everyone reading - have you ever had something similar? This is such an emotional, beautiful, yet terrifying process. I wish the possible risks weren't serious enough to have such a negative emotional and physical toll on us as women.

To all who are pregnant - congratulations! To all who are trying - I pray for the best possible outcome for all of you! To all who can't - I am so sorry. If only life could be fair. I can't even imagine the feeling I would have if I knew my experiences at this time in life were not a possibility.

Best wishes to you all!

3 Replies • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

Hi...

So sorry for what you've been through. My husband I and conceived at age 23, and I didn't make it past 6 weeks. I am a teacher, and I started to miscarry during our open house. It was awful because no one even knew I was pg yet except for my husband. I was devastated and seeking any outlet for the love I had for that lost baby. We held off trying and decided to buy a fixer upper house.

Flash forward to now, age 25, my husband is deploying in 3 months. We aren't actively trying, but we aren't preventing it either. I think being pregnant while he's deployed would save my sanity... Needless to say, I know when I ovulate and I time things accordingly. I am 10dpo and having symptoms... the same as before.

The prospect of being pg again is incredible... but SO scary. What if I miscarry again? How would I EVER live with myself???

Good luck to you!

BFP#1 9.1.11 EDD 5.16.12 MC 9.15.11 <3

11 years ago

I'm very sorry. Pregnancy is just filled with so many uncertainties. I hope things go perfect the next time around for you!

I know the approximate time of my ovulation, and I am very near where you are. What symptoms are you having? My last pregnancy I had experienced what may have possibly been implantation bleeding (I hope this explains it and it wasn't a pre-sign of the hemorrhaging). I have had slight dull cramps the past couple of days, and early today I had really diluted brownish spotting that I only got slightly on about two toilet papers (after pushing from a BM - it came from the vagina). It stopped and my cramping has somewhat been relieved. This could easily be a sign my period coming, although my periods don't usually play around, my first day is always my heaviest. I'm going to just relax and give it about 5-7 days to test because I don't think it would come back BFP in the next couple days either way. Besides, if my AF comes before then I won't have to spend money on a test.

I'm so very excited and I admit very impatient. I want to get through the pregnancy right away because I am not looking forward to the nine months. The pregnancy is ultimately not the goal, a healthy child is. If I make it through the entire nine months once getting pregnant and have a healthy child it will truly be a blessing.

Keep me updated on how things turn out! I'd love to know! Good luck!

PS - What state are you teaching? I know it's not likely that we would have any connection. I'm just interested. My husband was a teacher in Texas and I was a teacher's aide in the Special Ed and PPCD rooms at the same school. We moved back to Minnesota to be with family a year ago. He plans on finding a teaching position here when the hiring process starts in the spring.

11 years ago • Post starter

Well things are sounding promising for you!!!

Last time, I really only had two symptoms- I was SUPER thirsty, and I knew from the moment my husband and I did the deed that I would get pregnant.

This time, I have also been thirsty, but I feel like AF is coming. Like you, my af usually doesn't mess around either- the first day is the heaviest and then I spot for the next 2-3 days. I've had a few moments of af cramps that convince me this isn't my month, but I always hold on to that piece of hope.

Do you ever fear that it'll never happen? I torture myself with visions of being 40 and childless.

My best friend is teaching in Texas right now! I am in Connecticut though, in a nice comfortable district.

Keep me posted!!

BFP#1 9.1.11 EDD 5.16.12 MC 9.15.11 <3

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo