Community post

Journal

Boosting Progesterone

Blood level of progesterone during luteal phase should be 1.7 - 27.0 ng/mL. My blood test result shows my progesterone level to be 9.0 ng/mL, within normal range but on the lower end. Here are some things I noticed about my luteal phase:

Luteal phase should last 11-14 days. Mine last 12 days.
BBT should stay up until one day before period, but mine starts dropping a couple of days before.
I consistently have dark spotting a few days before my period starts, could be a sign of low progesterone.
While estrogen stimulates cervical fluid, progesterone dries it up. I have creamy mucus throughout my luteal phase, instead of drier tacky mucus.

While my progesterone level is just within the normal, it isn't great. I can definitely benefit from higher progesterone as I am TTC. It is important that I maintain a thickened lining of the uterus after I ovulate. Here is what I find so far on how to boost progesterone:

De-Stress!! High cortisol level inhibits progesterone production.

Get a good night's sleep - with my shift work, taking melatonin stimulates progesterone secretion.

Vitamin B6 - Recommend 250 mg per day. Helps increase progesterone levels. Sunflower seeds, pistachio nuts, tuna, turkey, dried prunes.

Vitamin C - Recommend 10 mg per day. Proven to increase progesterone levels. Kale, broccoli, oranges, kiwi, yellow peppers.

Vitamin E - Recommend 100-130 mg per day. Improves corpus luteum blood flow and progesterone. Nuts, sunflower seeds, shellfish, olive oil.

Magnesium - Recommend 320 mg per day. Helps regulate the production of estrogen and progesterone. Spinach, nuts and seeds, fish, whole grains. Dark chocolate has 327mg per 100g!

Zinc - Recommend 40 mg per day. Increases FSH. There usually is enough in prenatal vitamins.

Vitex - Stimulates progesterone production.

Avoid excess estrogen - Use less of soft plastics that hold the foods and beverages we eat. Aim for organic foods and meats that are "hormone free". Eat foods that are high in fiber - celery, apples, oatmeal, nuts and beans. Excess coffee consumption may increase estrogen by making the body too acidic.

Or, I can simply use progesterone cream, which I have readily available in my cabinet. My naturopathic doctor has not yet suggest I use it, maybe it's because I am not extremely low in progesterone.

I will be starting Vitex the 2nd half of my cycle this month, per my naturopathic doctor, so it will be interesting to see what my BBT willl be during the luteal phase of this cycle.

1 Comment • 7 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Comments

hi, I`m in the same situation, low progesteron, my luteal phase is 11 days, I have brown spotting a few days before my period starts....my doctor gave me pils with progesteron ( duphaston, Lutinus ) and it still not working ... I`m TTC since 2 years now, I`ve lost a pregnancy in September 2014th ( only 5 weeks and few days )...I wish you baby dust and all the best...

7 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo