Community post

Question

Need help understanding beta hcg lab results

So I got 3 positive HPTs this morning all different brands... So I had a beta hcg blood test today, but the results didn't come in until after my doctors office had closed... And I really can't wait til Monday.... Hopefully someone can help me here.... The lab tech said my levels were too high(?).... It says the result is 149.2 & the reference range is 0.5 - 4.8 and the unit mIU/mL

Make sense to anyone?

8 Answers • 8 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 8 of 8 Answers

Twins maybe?

8 years ago

Congrats you are about 4 weeks pregnant

http://www.babymed.com/is-my-hcg-blood-level-normal

8 years ago

Not too high, no worries. That level falls in the 4-5 wk range. Have them retested in 2-3 days to see the rate they double...that will give u a better idea of viability.
Congrats! =))

8 years ago

Thank you all! I appreciate your advice so much! I was so happy/nervous..... Then just scared! And I am married about twins, they don't run on either of of our families, but when my dr did an ultrasound of my ovaries and follicles, multiple looked ripe and ready to drop (but that was months ago). I'm waaaaaaay too tiny to carry twins. I'd just like to have one, please! And even one is such a blessing!

AGAIN, THANK YOU!!! You've put my mind at ease for now! <3

8 years ago • Post starter

Oh and I did forget to mention that my last period was October 5th... So 5 weeks is just about right if I ovulated late (which I usually do) and I have long cycles, that change at will.... But the one before was 32 days. If that helps at all, great... I just hope my cycle won't screw it up... I'm bathing in sticky dust everyday now...

8 years ago • Post starter

My levels were over 150 at 14dpo and I only had one, some women have even higher numbers with only one bean...don't panic about twins. It seems to be the "go to" response on here lately.

8 years ago

I'm honestly not sure why they considered that "too high" and used the reference range they did. That reference range would be the normal levels for a woman who is NOT pregnant. If you got 3 positive HPTs I'd say you ARE pregnant. So basically, it should be expected that your hCG levels are above that of a women who isn't pregnant.

Congratulations! I wouldn't worry too much about twins at this point. You can't really tell from hCG levels this early on based off all the studies and things I've read.

TTC #1: January 2015- October 2015 BFP #1: October 16, 2015. MC: November 6, 2015 BFP #2: March 15, 2016. MC: March 21, 2016 TTC Rainbow: November 2015- Present

8 years ago

Anything over 5 is considered positive! Congrats!!!!

8 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo