Community post

Question

Luteal Phase Defect?

With period symptoms surfacing at 9 days post ovulation. I began to wonder what the normal Luteal Phase is and found that anything 10 days and under is considered a defect. I'm not sure If this is my problem every month because this is my first cycle using Ovulation strips. Does anyone have a Luteal Phase Defect? If what has been done about it? Thanks for any responses.

" rel="nofollow">

4 Answers • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 4 of 4 Answers

I read somewhere that progesterone supplementation can delay af. If you have a short luteal phase you probably don't produce enough progesterone. I'm not a doc so definitely see one if you don't find a better answer, but my guess is a progesterone shortage in your case. Progesterone is what holds off your period, and most people have their P levels peak at around 9 dpo and decline shortly thereafter which is when your period would start. I was a surrogate this past year and had to do P supplementation. I had shots and they also have vaginal suppositories, which are probably cheaper but messier. Hope this helps!

9 years ago

I have a similar situation. However, my doctor told me not to worry about it until I get pregnant and then she will give me progesterone.. frustrating answer. Worth talking to your doc

9 years ago

I've never been "diagnosed" as having a luteal phase defect but know I ov between CD 15-18 and my cycles are an average of 25 days. I've heard progesterone helps but also don't get discouraged. I've had one healthy baby naturally even with a short luteal phase! Good luck!

9 years ago

I had the same problem and my re but me on progestrone supplements and I don't get my period until I stop them now. She was. Worried if I did get pregnant it wouldn't have enough time to implant. So now I take them 5 days after a positive opk or 3 days after I use a trigger shot! I would talk to your doctor and ask.

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo