Community post

Question

Constipation in early pregnancy?

Anyone experienced constipation in early pregnancy? I am suffering from it as esrly as 4 weeks. I've tried everything, metamucil, prune juice, oranges, prunes, fruits, orvilax, green leafy veggies, lots and lots of water. Still I can't go properly.
My doc says it's bec of the progesterone.

Anyone else had this experience? What did you use and how long did it last?

5 Answers • 10 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 5 of 5 Answers

Start taking 400mg of magnesium citrate, daily. Its safe for u and the baby, wont make ur bowel lazy, and is one of the reasons people become constipated in the first place (deficiency). Once u start going normally, if u notice ur actually getting diarrhea (give it a day or two after the initial constipation is out), then cut the dose down by 100mg. Diarrhea is a side effect that ur taking too much Mg (Mg draws water in to the intestines and stims the muscles to contract (peristalsis)), but 400mg is the norm for adults, then ya just adjust it according to ur needs. I love the stuff, dont know how I got by without it (also helps with headaches). Good luck! =))

10 years ago

Thanks a lot dakotagurrl, i sure hope it works...i'm starting to lose hope :(

10 years ago • Post starter

My doc said I could tak colace. My constipation started at 3 wks and I'm still not regular at 12 weeks. If it gets really bad I drink a ton of water and take a colace and usually get movement in about a day. I know how you are feeling so I hope you get some relief soon :)

10 years ago

Hi Leslie, thanks for the info. i actually ended up taking a fleet enema and it worked! I'm a bit more regular now...well actually I think I have diarrhea today but better out than in right?!

I'm continuing to drink lots and lots of water and eat more fiber. I never want to go through that again. I hope yours gets better.

10 years ago • Post starter

Hi ladies.... I have not gotten my BFP yet but I am 11 DPO and getting very constipated along with small amount of bleeding!! Is that normal??? Was your constipation accompanied with bleeding? I never bleed when I go to the bathroom so I am confused if this is a symptom or what?!

Sorry..TMI!!!!

10 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo