Community post

Question

New runner and newly pregnant

I just found out this morning that I am pregnant! This puts me at about 4 weeks along. I just began running yesterday to train for a 5k. I was pretty active before I started, as I was doing a lot of hiking, walking, strength training, etc. I have done a lot of reading where people say to not start any new forms of exercise that you weren't doing before you got pregnant, but would it be safe to continue with my training as long as I listen to my body?

Thank you!

3 Answers • 11 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 3 of 3 Answers

I think as long as you are physically able to do it in the beginning that is fine. Also, consider your age....the older you are the more of a risk of miscarriage you have, so you want to be very careful. As far as running when your stomach starts to get a lot bigger, that can cause you to be way off balance. When your belly gets bigger, if I were you, I would do things like stationary biking or swimming. But as far as right now, I don't see anything wrong with it! Congratulations and good luck with your pregnancy. :)

11 years ago

I would consult with your doctor/OB and run it by him. I have a friend that jogged through most of her pregnancy and she is fine. She was a jogger before she got pregnant. I think you will be fine, but run it past your doctor first. Congrats!!!!

11 years ago

I am a runner too! I am not pregnant yet, but I have asked my doctor about this. She advised that once I am pregnant, I should continue doing what I would normally do (in other words, don't push myself to do anything beyond my current fitness level). She also said to listen to my body and don't let myself get too hot.

You will know if you are pushing yourself too hard. Listen to your body and go for it!

And congrats!

User Image TTC since June 2012. DH: 32 Me: 29 October 2012: DH diagnosed with varicocele and low morphology 1-2% to all!

11 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo