Community post

Discussion

Mid-Cycle Bleeding & Clotting - Due to Herbal Supplement

In the 20 years that I've had my period, my cycles has been 28-30 days with the very rare short (23 days) or long (40 days) cycle tossed in - the amount of times it's deviated I can count on one hand - and usually lasts between 4-5 days.

The past year, my BF and I have been casually trying to get pregnant (IE, just not using birth control) but after a year of being unsuccessful, we started really trying last cycle (this is my 2nd cycle).

Last cycle, I started taking Royal Jelly (to increase egg quality) & B6 (to lengthen luteal cycle and increase cervical mucus) and Flaxseed Oil. Got a positive OPK on CD19 and then got AF on CD33 (which gave me a 32 day cycle). On CD1 (of Cycle #2) I added Evening Primrose Oil to the mix) and planned to switch back to Flaxseed Oil after I O'd.

This cycle, after my usual 4-5 days of bleeding, I had an additional few days of spotting - which I thought was odd but figured that maybe it was just left over blood. I've been doing OPK tests since CD12 and have yet to get a positive or see the lines get any darker - yet yesterday, when I wiped after going to the bathroom, I noticed blood on the toilet paper and when I looked in the toilet - saw a bit of blood. That happened sporadically throughout the day. Before I went to bed, there was no blood.

Went to the bathroom, this morning, and there were (what looked like) a group of clots and a little more blood in the toilet and when I wiped, more (light) blood on the tissue. The only time it comes out, it seems, is when I go to the bathroom.

I've never had mid-cycle bleeding/clotting like this before, so the only thing I can think of is that the supplements are doing something. I've read that they can cause mid-cycle spotting/bleeding - due to them regulating hormones - but I'm not sure if the amount of blood and clotting is normal (I have period-like cramps as well).

My BF suggested that maybe it was an egg to burrow into my uterus, but I feel like CD17 would be too early for that to happen (even if my OPK didn't catch my O).

I do have an appointment with my gyno, in two weeks, but I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if they also wound up ovulating even though they had bled.

Thanks for reading! :)

Me: 36 BF: 37 TTC#1 since April 2013

1 Reply • 9 years ago

Advertisement

Pregnancy test calculator

Use this calculator to help you decide when to take your first home pregnancy test.

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

I know this is an old post, but I noticed that when I was taking more multivitamins/fish oil/prenatals I had a heavier period each month (3-5 days), and when I stopped my period would be much light (2-3 days).

9 years ago

Early pregnancy symptoms by day past ovulation

What signs and symptoms are most common on each day past ovulation?

Advertisement

Pregnancy test statistics

Select your day past ovulation to see the statistics and to get an understanding of what result you can expect.

Select your day past ovulation
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo
dpo